indicators in fly only water?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by I love babies, Jul 16, 2014.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

Neither do the swingers. If you never want to take the training wheels off your bike, that's your choice. :)

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I think my way of fishing is better. If I didn't, I'd fish another way.

Go Sox,
    cds

Chris Johnson likes this.
  3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

its all better than the fishing Im doing at work right now.....which is none. :(

Get out and fish and rep the hobby in the best way you can.

plaegreid likes this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I don't feel picked on, how am I making it sound like I'm picked on.

For every swinging zealot there is a counterpart? Really? I'm afraid I just don't see it, I still can't see where indicator fisherman say things like, "take off the training wheels", "your just selfish", "The problem with swinging is it sucks and it is no fun", "I find the thought of swinging unpleasant at best and hate seeing swingers or even internet discusions of swinging because it sucks." "It's not that swing fishermen wouldn't be self righteous if they had something to be self righteous about. And they don't put down other fishermen because they first would have to find and identify a lower life form of fishing in order to put it down."

Or do you mean zealot in the face of how one enjoys fishing? In that case yeah, I'll go with that.

PT likes this.
  5. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Do you think it is better than the way everyone else fishes and that everyone should fish only the way you fish, or just better for you?

6. Charles Sullivan

Home Page:
    I think I've been clear. I detest nymphing and don't enjoy it. I literally moved 3,000 miles to fish other methods and get away from the hordes of lead chuckers that I was fishing around. I really have no idea why anyone thinks it is the least bit enjoyable.
    I do think it's better to fish other ways because I generally have the same reaction to nymphing as I do to a rattlesnake.
    You can ask leading questions to try and paint those of us who dislike nymphing as being some sort of zealot, but in the end you are just trying to make someone look bad because we disagree. In fact it's this behavior that makes you look like you feel picked on. I don't like Indian food either, that doesn't make me a racist. It just means that I really dislike Indian food.

Go Sox,
    cds

7. underachiever

underachiever members only

In his next life Charles will be a nymphing guide. Yankees fan to boot.

8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Touched a nerve did I? I thought it was a simple question based on your post and yet you still didn't answer it. So I guess I'll assume that you do think your method is better than every other method and you do believe that everyone should fish the way you fish? Or did I miss something. Is it just that you lack the ability to understand how others can enjoy something you don't or do you really honestly think they are wrong for liking it? Do you think that people who like Indian food are wrong and should change their ways? Not likely right?

As for trying to make you look bad Charles because you disagree with me, if you think this is the case you must already think you look bad. I'm not trying to paint those who don't like indicator fishing as zealots, just those who think that their method is superior and that anyone who doesn't fish the way they fish are inferior. You seem to be one of those zealots and I don't need to paint you that way at all because you do it just fine by yourself.

Do you feel picked on Charles? Wait don't answer that, because according to you I'm only asking these questions because I'm trying to make you look bad and I'm the one who feels picked on. What a joke! Oh me oh my the big bad swingers are picking on me again, I better post up something so they'll leave me alone. Ha ha ha!

9. jwg

jwg Active Member

You guys are distracting Ira from finishing his book!

J

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Charles will be first in line to buy it I just know it. No space in the book for indicator fishing for steelhead though, unless the steelhead find themselves in a lake, then all bets are off.

11. Charles Sullivan

Home Page:
    I THINK MY METHOD IS SUPERIOR.

That's why I fish the way I do. There is nothing wrong with that. You clearly feel the same way. Christ, you give presentations on nymphing.

Yes, I lack the ability to understand why people like nymphing. That is true. I do not understand.

Where you are wrong, continually, is your assertion that because I (and the other non-nymphers) don't like or understand nymphing that I want to change how other people feel towards it. If that were the case I would do things like give presentations on fishing other ways.

Go Sox,
    cds

12. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I like fishing with bait
    I like fishing while on a date
    I like fishing all around the sound
    I like fishing on water instead of ground
    I like to swing a fly or drop a bug
    I like to give my son a big hug
    I fish after a long alpine hike
    I could give two shits what you like
    If i considered what you thought
    I might even care what you caught
    since i fish my way and you fish yours
    We can both enjoy it and not be bored

I am rubber you are glue, it bounces off me and sticks to you.

Irafly likes this.
  13. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I understand nymphing- it's just not my thing.

If I was really the urge to get in a fistfight at Reiter I'd throw a bobber with the Spey rod.

Irafly likes this.
  14. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I give presentations on indicator techniques in stillwaters, I don't think my method is superior to yours or anyone else's methods, it is a way of approaching a lake (river) that I'm skilled at and people have asked me to share that knowledge. Ultimately I enjoy catching fish period but I prefer the indicator. I do not lack the ability to understand why people like to catch fish regardless of their method, I'm sorry that you do though, that must make it really hard for you to empathize with people in many areas of your life. Most likely why you prefer to fish alone.

I am not asserting, therefore I don't believe I'm wrong, that those who don't like indicator fishing are trying to change how others feel towards it, that is why I asked you if that was how you felt. No assertion there, just a question that you didn't want to answer. I continually only like to call out those who do make it clear that they are trying to change minds and feelings. My confusion with you and others is when you don't use a first person pronoun in your statements. On more than one occasion posters make assertions about a certain technique but they state their opinion as fact and leave little room for their to be any other interpretation. For example you do not state that you "think" I'm wrong, you say that I am wrong. So to get this straight, you are not asserting that you want to change anyones minds or change anyones feelings about how they fish? No assertion again, just a question.

I am confused though that you think the simple act of giving a presentation on a subject automatically means that the person giving the presentation thinks that their method is superior. That's quite a leap.

15. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

More likely someone would just shoot you. I did fish an indicator there once just for giggles but nobody got mad at me in the slightest. I worked with the people around me, found a place out of the way, helped a few guys spot fish, pointed out some likely drifts and although they likely laughed at me a bit they were also quite friendly. I think they respected the fact that I didn't look down on them for how they chose to fish. I even let a couple of guys "cast" my set up a bit.

PT likes this.