Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

inflatable drift boats

Boats 
1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Freestone 
#1 ·
what do you guys think about the new inflatable drifters? It would be nice if we had something like this, since I could tow the R-Pod, and throw the boat in the bed of the truck. That way, Her Ladyship and I could fish out of the same craft, rather than our individual Watermasters. NRS has one, and I think somebody else has brought one out, too.

#2 ·
Are you strictly talking the inflatable paddle board technology drift boats like NRS came out with or fishing raft packages as well? I have my Rivertech raft package,not a homebuilt style, it is a factory made inflatable drifter and can easily be put in a pickup bed dissasembled if you had to. I haven't rowed an actual inflatable DB yet.

#6 ·
No raft packages, but like that NRS thing. I have two Watermasters already, and having been in several rafts, really don't like the flexible floor they have. Since I also have a Clack WF16, I'm looking for the same type of performance in addition to better portability.

#9 · (Edited)
My Rivertech you can pump up the floor rock hard so it is like a paddle board almost so standing is no problem in the rowers area. The diminished tubes I really like they make for more room in the boat and the rockered shape rides really well and doesn't catch the wind as bad as some of the other rafts I have tried. I like my dryboxes and cooler for camping. I would be curious to row one of the NRS driftboats just for comparison to a hard boat.

#10 ·
The nrs boats are cool, but if I bought one I would definitely change up the thigh brace configuration to get rid of the horn. Seems like the horn would catch flylines and potentially sterilize you if you weren't tight in it and hit a rock. I wonder if one could use a Hyde thigh brace instead which would also provide extra cup holders. The frame configuration also seems like a lot to step over when changing rowers. Perhaps some boxes/coolers/etc. could provide a stable "step."

#12 ·
Alex, a guide friend rowed one for 2 days recently. He expected it to row like crap and was very pleasantly surprised. He's rowed various drift boats, rafts and cats over the years. Currently he runs a Clack most of the year and a very lightweight cataraft in low summer water. He's now thinking of replacing the cat with an NRS inflatable drift boat. He liked how it handled as well as the interior roominess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.