information on the Lochsa???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 11, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You do need to watch your backcast. The rocks and boulders behind you can cause problems.

John found a riffle that was so full of trout, he'd get a hit on each cast of his Humpy... but he'd miss hooking the fish. Time and time again, he'd cast, a trout would sink his fly, he'd miss the fish. He probably missed 12 strikes.

I finally asked him if he'd bothered to check the hook point on his pattern. He did and sure enough, one of his backcasts must have nicked a boulder and snapped off the spear of the hook. He was not only fishing barbless but pointless.

I'm sure it was just as frustrating to the cutthroat as it was him... a damned bug kept showing up but they couldn't eat it :D

2. Ray

Ray Active Member

The video was filmed at Mile Marker 114.5. It's a huge pullout and will be packed full of cars (vultures) watching the carnage. If you get a chance, drive up Fish Creek and check out the NOAA fish weir. The steelhead run in that creek is the Shangri-La of wild Idaho Steelhead, and the fish bios up there are usually happy to talk to a fellow fish head. As for fishing the tribs, you might be disappointed because of the high water/high gradient combo. That said, Big Sands Creek is a great hike in fishing trip. It goes from this up in the Meadow:
    [​IMG]

To this just downstream:
    [​IMG]

3. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

So from what I get don't hold my breath on finding much to fish up there at the end of may. Wait tell aug sept?? @ Ray how far up is the big sand creek and do you know the mile marker or can you give me a idea of where to look? Also where about is fish creek. I have been to the loscha twice and both times I didn't get to look around much. I am thank full for all the advice but if you can give a little more directions it would help. All I really know is the hot spring and the lodge. I'm guessing down from this but about how far? Thanks Ray

4. Ray

Ray Active Member

Big Sand Creek is up a couple of dirt roads out of Powell. It's a couple of mile hike to get in, but if the road is open, it very well could be the best fishing in the area for that time of year. Lat:46.367085 Long:-114.596174 Fish Creek comes in just downstream of the Fish Creek River Access around mile marker 122. The river access is a HUGE pullout and is well signed. For reference, the pullout for Jerry Johnson hotsprings is at MM 156.

5. Eric Denny

ok now I have a question because I was thinking about it. When you are heading to the lochsa by the montana route I seen a sign that said fish creek is this the same fish creek just higher up or over depending on how you look at it? and if the road is open can you drive all the way to it or do you still need to hike in?

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

What's up with the Selway? Virginia and I tried fishing it and didn't do worth a hoot. Beautiful river but no fish for us. Not at all like the Lochsa.

I have a black bear story about Gin and I stopping to fish the Lochsa on the way to YNP but I'll save that for another thread.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

A map of Idaho would help you out. That way you can explore and find these little gems by yourself.

8. Eric Denny

@old man I thought that was what the forums are for to find new spots? Or find out if spots are worth looking into? that way you can spend more time fishing less time looking.

9. Eric Denny

@ gat I would love to hear any story you have.:) And it doesn't have to be about fishing just a good story.But glad to see you said that the lochsa is good fishing.

10. Ray

Ray Active Member

The fish creek you may be thinking of is probably on the Clark Fork. Maybe not, but the one on the Lochsa is about 45 miles or so downstream of Powell and doesn't have any other road access. As for Big Sand Creek, it's still a hike even if the road is open, but it's on a nice FS trail.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  11. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

The Selway has no fish ;)

12. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

The Lochsa is just beautiful in late summer/early fall, low and crystal clear. From one of the little Forest Service campgrounds, you can step into fine, very fishable pools and runs. Take twenty-thirty minutes to walk through the Bernard DeFeo Memorial Grove of splendid huge cedars, on both sides of the highway.

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Lochsa is a great river to fish, slippery rocks and all. It has great access for miles and miles. Your timing will be crap shoot with spring run-off, but hopefully it will be moderate flows and you get some early action.

14. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

The folks on this forum almost never give out as much info as you're getting in this thread. You even got GPS coordinates for pet's sake! If you had asked about some productive Sea Run Cutthroat beach or creek near Seattle you probably would have been been met with silence if not open derision. The prevailing opinion is that finding your own spots builds character. ;)

McNasty likes this.
  15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It isn't exactly a secret river... the hwy follows right next to it forever. I first read about it in Fly Fisherman magazine back in the early 80s.

I don't think anyone is giving up anything that hasn't been published for years and years in national flyfishing magazines.