information on the Lochsa???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Gene -

I've had the same experience on the lower Selway. Hardly a fish to be had, even though the Lochsa was fishing great.

I think there are a couple explanations. First is that there are a ton of campgrounds along the lower Selway and it probably gets hammered by the catch and fry crowd, whereas the upper Lochsa (above wilderness gateway), where most fly guys go, is C&R. Second is simply that the most popular part of the Lochsa is well above the confluence with the Selway; I've never fished the lower section, below the C&R zone. I'm guessing it isn't as good as the upper section. The better comparison would be the upper C&R section of the Lochsa with the upper Selway, which is only accessible via the Magruder corridor or on foot.

D

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Richard, I think your explination is as good as any. We only fished the C&R section of the Lochsa and didn't walk into the upper Selway.

3. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    I worked at Kelley Creek the first year that put in Catch and Release regulations. There were NO FISH in the river and it was a 50 mile dirt road to the Ranger Station.

The difference in a few short years was nothing short of amazing. Converted me to catch and release.

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Vladimir, that's fascinating. What year was it that they instituted C&R on Kelley Creek?

My experience in the north fork over the years (all well after the reg changes) is that the reaches that are not C&R on the mainstem also fish well (they have a 2 fish limit). Do you think the changes in Kelley Creek have led to a fundamentally different sort of angler who fishes there?

D

5. Ray

Ray Active Member

July Lochsa fishing is excellent down low if you have a boat and fish the left side of the river. As a general rule, you'll catch 3x as many fish on the left side as you will on the right. I like fishing the sections between all of the big rapids (mm112-mm117)because it's water that everybody just drives by. Leave the waders at home, bring a pfd, and wet wade knowing that you can go from knee deep to over your head in half a step.

6. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

Well I am thank full for all the info everyone is giving me. So thanks to every one who has put something into this thread. And please keep giving me all the advice you feel you can give because I am open ears.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If you were to ask about fishing in Washington you would probably end up with nothing. Al lot of people here put in time and gas to find good places to fish. I used to fish and tell but I don't do it much anymore. Exploring is what it's all about.

Just think if you had some places that you wanted to keep secret, would you tell about them on an open forum. Just think how many lurkers there are out there just waiting for a juicy spot to get broadcasted out.

8. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    It was 1972 when C&R came to Kelley Creek.

The other river that is more similar to your North Fork question is the St. Joe. I wrote the management plan for the St. Joe Wild & Scenic River in 1979. The limit at that time was two fish over 13 inches.

While I was writing the management plan I fished or walked every inch of the classified river. I believe that entire summer I caught maybe a half dozen fish over 13 inches and several of those were in the Wild portion (roadless area).

Cutts on Idaho rivers migrate up and down based on water temperature. A little known fact that Idaho Fish and Game asked me to remove from my management plan!! So the larger fish get removed as they move up and down the river.

I have not fished the Joe since I wrote the management plan, but it seems from the stuff that I read that there are LOTS more fish over 13 inches.

Don't get me wrong the Joe was full of fish in 1979. I had days where in three hours I probably caught 50-75 fish with a fish on virtually every cast. Only six or more were over 13 inches. Catch and kill is deadly on large fish.

The fisherman changed on Kelley Creek from primarily bait and gear fisherman to fly fisherman. That first year in 1972 hardly anybody fished the river.

I like the selective fishery concept with gear fisherman allowed with single barbless hook. I have run into lots of gear fisherman that support selective fisheries simply because they get to catch large fish. However, most of those still kill one fish and that does impact the fishery. But that is better than a regular 5 fish limit lake outcome.

Builder likes this.
  9. Eric Denny

Well if it makes any one feel better all I fish is c&r. I live but the saying you catch them to let them go so you can't catch them when they grow. And@ old man I can see where you are coming from but I wasn't so much asking a spot as I was asking info on a spot I plan on fishing any ways. So if I offended you I'm sorry thats not what I was trying to do, and I'm not asking any one for there honey hole.

10. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Overall yeah on wet wading out there, I always look forward to that. But I'd keep something handy that covers the legs that time of year. Bugs can be anything from annoying to downright nasty at certain times.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

You didn't offend me. All I was saying is to go look. Maybe you can find a honey hole by your lonesome.

Before we all had computers it was word of mouth. I know for a fact that I spend oodles of money for gas and wore out my tires finding places to catch fish. Some places are just to fragile to broadcast out here on the internet for all the masses to go to.

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I figure if a fisheries shows up in a national fishing magazine, the cat is out'a the bag. When I was writing where-to flyfishing articles, I only pointed out fisheries that were already well known.

I wrote one article about the March Brown hatch on The McKenzie. Guys from local fly clubs threatened a drive by shooting when the article was published. Sheeesh! The McKenzie is not exactly a secret spot!

In fact, there are very, very few "secret spots" in Oregon. All you need to do is look in a reference book titled "Fishing in Oregon" to find the exact location of just about any fishery in Oregon. If it's in the book, it ain't secret. The book was published long before the Internet became popular.

There are a few fisheries I never mention online but they're in the book. Usually, it is a steelhead spot I never mention. Rivers are easily overran, especially when it comes to steelhead.

Stillwaters? I fish popular lakes and it makes no difference how many folks know about them. If you are not up on stillwater flyfishing, most folks don't catch fish no matter how many are on the lake.

On another site, some poor newbie got shot down by the regulars because he posted a report about Hosmer Lake in Oregon. The poor guy was blasted as if Hosmer was a secret. What a laugh! Hosmer is about as well known as a flyfishing lake as any in Oregon. They may as well have blasted him for reporting a Deschutes trip.

So yes, some places you should keep to yourself but others are hardly unknown. The Lochsa is one.

Builder likes this.
  13. Eric Denny

Well GAT I will make sure if I find someone's honey hole or if they happen to let it slip, as I see how tight lipped everyone is,lol. I won't post it I don't need anyone shooting at my house over a fishing spot. And to all those reading this please note I am a C&R guy I will leave them there for you to catch to.lol