Input on new GLoomis GLX Max Line Speed

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bmd1324, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    I have an original sage XP+ and it is a very fast action rod. The eastern guys couldnt handle it so they dropped it. The biggest demographic pool of buyers just wasnt ready for that much speed in a rod back then. It took me a month of broken tippets to calm down my hooksetting with my sp+. But my accuracy and linespeed were very much improved. I was also getting casting lessons at about the same time :cool:

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

So is it safe to assume that when your casting heavy or long sink tips that a fast action rod would make the job of casting them easier?

3. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

We get it already you traditional guys! All of us young whipper snappers have fallen victim to the false advertising of the makers of anything new that ever comes out. It's all hype and we are hypnotized by the cool names, letter, and gadgetry of it all. We are paying more for nothing. So when we humor ourselves and talk about new reels, rods, vest or whatever please don't post. We get it! Let us foolish, money wasting kids convince others to waste more money. The manufactures are counting on us in this elaborate scheme. Let evil win.....

4. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

LISTEN TO MY VOICE,

((((((BUY EXPENSIVE GEAR))))))
    (((((IT"S BETTER))))))
    ((((IT WILL MAKE YOU CATCH MORE FISH)))))))
    ((((((WOMEN WILL ADORE YOU))))))
    ((((MEN WILL ENVY YOU))))))
    ((((YOU WILL RULE THE WORLD))))))

((((((((((((SPREAD THE GOOD WORD))))))))))))

(((((((((GO TO THE FLY SHOP NOW))))))))))

(((((((((((BUY! BUY! BUY! )))))))))))))))))

HA HA HA HE HE HE (pinky finger at corner of mouth)

5. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Home Page:
    Jason,
    No need to shout, capitals hur my ears.

Peace,
    Andy

6. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

I am curious about this as well, Scott. I find that I can cast a dry line better on a faster rod than a slower rod. I like a slower rod for throwing my T-200. Is that backwards? (NOTE: my experience is very limited)

7. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Zen:

I wanted swirling hypnotizing lines, but didn't know how to create the effect. Did it work on you?

8. Balazs

Balazs New Member

So is it safe to assume that when your casting heavy or long sink tips that a fast action rod would make the job of casting them easier?

Hi Scott!

If safe, I don`t know, however i use mySage SP+490 and 590
    ( very fast,stiff underrated rods, similaire to TCR) mainly for sinking line, intermediate and sinktip line fishing. Great rods,whenever quite special.
    A bit like a 911 Porsche, fast ,hard sportcar, great feeling, but would You want to drive it everyday to work?
    I love my GLX s from the older series, light,responsive fishing, not only casting tools.
    I have a XP, nice fast material,however I preferred the RPL+ with the stiffish butt section, a matter of taste?
    And at last, I used to have a Fisher 9`6 pc 5/6 wt as a backup rod when travelling. Not a fast rod, You cuold put on a cigarette between the for and the backcast, but like a good wife; allways with You and very forgiving.......
    Balazs

9. Anil

Anil Active Member

In order to re-fresh my memory, I just went out back and cast four of the rods that are popping up the most. I have listed them in order of there speed and stiffness:
    1.TCR 9’5 weight. This rod is the stiffest and probably ties with the GLX Max line speed in terms of ‘fastness.’
    2. GLX 9’5 weight Max Line Speed. This rod is very close to the TCR in terms of the speed of the taper, yet it is very noticeably less stiff and more comfortable in close.
    3. XP 9’5 weight. A rod that is slower and slightly less stiff than the Max line speed.
    4.GLX 9’ 5 weight High Line Speed. As fast in taper as the XP, but less butt strength and less stiff overall.
    All rods where cast with an S.A. GPX line. These are only my observations of the rods listed above. We are not a Winston dealer and I was not able to cast the Rod that ‘powens’ was asking about. From my memory, I would say that it would lie somewhere in the middle of this pack.
    This list is not intended to rank the rods in order of my preference, rather to reflect only their relative ‘speed’ and stiffness. Your own casting style and application should determine which rod you choose. All of these rods are on the fast end of the spectrum and there are many rods that are slower. My suggestion (as always): Cast them yourself.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

10. ahove11

ahove11 New Member

I have a glx max line speed rod. It is a cannon. Ausome buy!
    It is the perfect mix of line speed and delicate presintations.
    It is also suprisingly forgiving too.

Tight lines
    -Andrew Hove

11. wet line

wet line New Member

I am probably going to singe a few feathers but so be it. All that counts is the accuracy that you can place a fly. Very few of you are casting past 60 feet and very few of you can see a dry fly past 60 feet. Very few trout are caught past 60 feet. Almost any rod made can cast 60 feet. Heck the guy that taught me to cast could throw 30 feet of line with his arm and no rod involved.

It is what's between the ears that catches fish. A thousand dollar rod in the hand of an idiot will not outfish a hill billy with a fifty dollar set up and understands the fish. A kid with a bobber and worm can catch fish all day long once he knows what he is doing.

The rod is not going to make you a better fisherman. Yes, when you have become extremely competent a faster rod or slower rod may give you an edge. But before you get there you will have learned how to make any rod work in any circumstance. There are no short cuts. Money will not buy you proficiency. Money will not buy you more fish. The fish don't care what is in your hand. Find the rod that matches your stroke and be happy with that. When you are ready to expand your horizons you will know what you need. No one can tell you because you will know.

I really hate these what rod should I buy things. But then I quess it is all part of a learning curve and I shouldn't be harsh. But I was taught by harsh men and that is what I know. Just learn to make the rod work they told me and then you will know what to do. Quit whineing, you are spoiling my fishing. I don't care about your wind knots just shut up and let me fish. Well that is how I learned.

Dave

12. Keith Hunter

Keith Hunter New Member

Anil, I have cast all of the rods you mentioned. I have owned and or fished most of them. I think you are right on the money with your analysis of their qualities.

Last September, my friend bought a GLX HLS 9' 5wgt after fishing my "original" GLX 9' 5wgt. We both cast it at the shop and liked it very much. We left the shop, drove 20 minutes to the Roaring Fork and fished for about three hours switching the GLX's back and forth. We both agreed that while the GLX HLS casted great, it left a lot to be desired as a fishing rod. I never thought I'd say this about a rod, but it is far too high energy and needs a slightly damper feel. Subsequently, the HLS lacks in accuracy.

He returned the GLX HLS the next day and left the store with a Sage XP590. Now there's a rod! I liked it so much, I sold my original GLX and bought an XP590 and XP490 as well. All the XP's I have cast are certainly fast action and have a lot of power, but they are not broomsticks, like the old Scott STS. The XP's have very sensitive tips and can easily protect 7x tippet. XP's are very versatile rods.

That being said, I wish I still had the original GLX. It could handle heavy winds, lift a sink tip line, and heave a large weighted nymph no problem.

YMMV,
    Keith

13. Curtis King

Curtis King Fish Magnet

:beathead:
    Wow, such an amount of chatter for a 3 weight? Everyone has a different casting technique no matter how small the difference may seem. Simple solution: Go try each one you are considering. After casting 5 different models at the Bellevue exposition last year, I settled on the GLX. For me the choice was obvious and immediate. Very powerful in the lower section, but soft finish, like a fine red wine. I have 4 GLX rods for this very reason. Buy what fits your style...not complicated.

:beer2:

14. driftboatdan

driftboatdan Member

I tend to agree with Jason's sarcasm on this one (yelling aside). Fly fishing, like most aspects of our american lives, has become a consumer driven activity. The advertisers convince you (me) that you'll fish better with the latest and greatest, and we (I) buy into it.

Fast action rods are great in the wind in that they throw tight loops. I find this particularly useful in saltwater applications (flats fishing) and when swinging flies on the Skagit (because I want to cast as far as possible). I tend to use the double spey cast a lot with my single hand rod (and my double hand rod), and I've found the timing is much easier when my rod is more of a medium action. This seems to hold true for most roll type casts (I think fish fighting is also nicer on a medium rod). I prefer a little softer rod when I'm double nymphing because it is easier to throw a wider loop, which prevents tailing loops and line tangles with the quickly falling nymphs (and splitshot). The soft rods are great for dry fly fishing in spring creeks (when casts need to be short and precise, and tippets need to long and fine). So what does this all mean? It means I've convinced myself that I will be a better fisherman with about 12 different rods, and I do think it is true to some extent.

So lets stop and think about this, we'll use the skagit river as our example. What really make me the most happy on a steelheading float on the Skagit (maybe from marblemount to howard miller)...hmm...some days I guess I'd have to say a 15lbs buck. Does my $900 dollar Derek Brown Favorite increase my ability to hook and land this fish? Well..yes. But what would really make everyone happy (like the people who don't have the spey rods)? Asking "Does it increase my ability?" I'm begining to think, is a very selfish and consumer driven question...I'm consuming rods, so I can consume steelhead fights. If I were to ask, what is going to increase everyones ability to catch steelhead, I'd have to say more steelhead in the river, and now, what about people who don't care to angle...(I know there are a few of them out there) what do they like about the Skagit..eagles maybe. So now if I would spend my money (and maybe some of my fishing time) to increase the capacity of the skagit to make people happy (I think the economic measure for this term would be the skagit's "youtels"). I would stand the chance of catching more steelhead because there's more steelhead in the river. But then there might be people who might be happy setting seign nets with jet skiis at the mouth of the sauk...how do I justfy saying "no" if this is their idea of happiness from the skagit? Well I guess I need to start looking at what makes the river happy as well (environmental costs). And as you can see this post is getting long and drawn out, but do you really need a 500.00 XP, do tsunami victims need 500.00 XP's, do aids infected africans need a 500.00 XP, Does my priveleged life justify a 500.00 XP? I've got to go, my ice cream is melting on my damn apple pie. -dan

15. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

the max line speed doesnt even compare in fastness to a XP, much less a TCR. They throw you off with the title. I have talked with people on the loomis pro staff and they agree, poor marketing. They may have similar "written descriptions" but they are totally different rods.