Interesting info. on steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Big Tuna, Jan 21, 2005.

1. woodway

woodway Squeaky Reel

The uphill or downhill current is not what it used to be, with the Columbia being a series of lakes behind dams. Of course the exception is the Hanford Reach. I've floated between the Vernita Bridge and the Tri Cities, and the current is damn impressive.

If you look at the numbers, it took her a little bit longer to traverse this stretch!

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

It seems things are a little desperate around here. Lot's of talk about basketball, football, and fruitcake, but little about fishing. Thought I'd resurrect this thread from last year and see if y'all have had any similar experiences you'd like to share.

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps you might submit a new topic of interest instead of bumping up comparison examples of old threads.

NFR posts are allowed. They are clearly indicated as NFR so you can skip by them. While I don't prefer them either, not much harm comes from them when kept in moderation.

Chris

4. ZugBug

ZugBug Member

I missed this one last year. Very cool info!

5. TomB

TomB Active Member

cmtundra- yea i know...evolution is such a faulty concept
    -Tom

6. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

My intent wasn't to disrespect the NFR posts...I responded to the "Fruitcake" one. Nor did I intend to start a holy war over creationism vs. evolution. Thought I'd try to stir up some discussion about fish or fishing. Since it's been too cold to fish around here, I don't have much new to add. Feel free to delete the post if it violates forum rules or is generally in bad form.

7. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the reply but no worries. :)

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I missed this thread first time around too, not that I want to bring up answers to old questions but ...The tag was likely a PIT tag, like you mentioned which stands for Passive Integrated Transponder. Many fish are tagged throughout the Columbia and Snake Rivers. Most dams have PIT tag detector systems that can pick up tagged fish going out and coming back.

If you Google Ptagis and Biomark, you will find two highly informative websites about PIT tags and their respective capabilities.

FYI, on an unrelated but similar topic, The Fish Passage Center, which has been monitoring anadromous fish populations for years could have their funding wiped out due to bill written by an Idaho politician. The information on FPC's webpage will sorely be missed for anyone who tracks the upstream migration of steelhead up the Columbia and Snake Rivers. They also occasionally display information on PIT tag data.

9. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

These PIT tags could be cool to use on some other rivers as well to see where other runs go. Pretty amazing to see what these fish do to get back and spawn!