Intermediate Lines?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by flyrig, Sep 6, 2017.

1. flyrig

flyrig Member

Can anyone comment about the differences in the Cortland 444 cameo line and the Rio In touch line? I need a new line and have been using the Cortland for a while but open to trying a different line.

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I've never liked the Cortland camo line, but many people do. I'm currently fishing a Rio InTouch camolux and like it. Their aqualux is good too. If I were buying a new intermediate, I'd also check out SA Titan full intermediate and Airflo sixth sense lines. I'm a fan of low stretch sinking lines. Way less spool memory and fewer tangles in the running line.

Starman77 and Irafly like this.
  3. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Unlike Mr. @troutpocket, I have a Cortland Camo and really like it. The downside (two, actually) is its stretch and coil memory. I do find the line's coil memory to be tolerable if I take the time to stretch the line as I unspool it before casting. As to it not being low stretch like the SA Titan and Airflo Sixth Sense, I can't cast far enough for that to be a problem with hook set. I do seem to remember some issues with the old Cortland Camo's being prone to breaking, gee, never heard any negative smack about Rio lines breaking.:rolleyes:

Ps. I'm a fan of Airflo Sixth Sense lines. My type-7 Airflo gets a lot of use. As troutpocket says, it is low stretch so there's really good connection to the fly and any strike.

wanative and troutpocket like this.
  4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

One thing to consider about the SA Titan is its sink rate.
    Maybe it was because I was using it in saltwater, but it just wouldn't sink.
    It would float on the surface for a decent amount of time before going under the surface. It acted more like a slow sinking hover line then a true intermediate.
    It did cast very nicely and rarely tangled.
    SF

5. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Sounds like a couple of my floating lines........

6. Old trout

Old trout New Member

I agree with troutpocket. I have used the Cortland camo line and did not like it. I use the Rio in touch line. Another line I use a lot and is worth considering is the Rio Hover line. It is my first choice. It now comes in the In Touch low stretch line.

7. flyrig

flyrig Member

Decided to go with the Rio in touch line. Might need to use a longer leader as this line does not look to be quite as stealthy but it should cast better and I like the built in marker.

8. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I like the hover line too. Do you find the sink rate is noticeably different than the in-touch camolux? I really haven't found a need for my hover because my camolux sinks pretty slow vs other intermediate lines I've used.

9. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

I have a SA clear intermediate line & a RIO intermediate line. I like the SA line for lakes. A bit stiff but after a few casts it does ok. The RIO line has a lot coil memory. Sinks ok but the camo coloring is too much at least for clear water lakes.

10. Old trout

Old trout New Member

At first no, I don't see much difference. but after several cast, the hover line does seem to sink a bit faster. What I like about the hover is the way it cast ( at least for me. I'm not a great caster.) and that, when I start the retrieve, it stays at that depth. I mainly fish with a 5 wt and my hover is a few years old. I just purchased a 6 wt and I noticed coloring is a different. I was going to spend a few days next week at Chopaka Lake and was going to try it out, but that isn't working out, so I'll have to wait to try out a new rod and line. I'll have t trim the hedge instead.

11. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

SA Sonar seems to be working just fine.

12. dp

dp ~El Pescador

Chopaka is fishing well. buggers on an intermediate line - stripped, not trolled.

Methow likes this.