Intro and Fishing Trips to Alaska....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by n1507l, Sep 14, 2001.

1. n1507l

n1507l New Member

Recently moved to Washington and will likely be looking for help on fishing in the area.

I used to guide up in Alaska and go back at least once or twice a year - if anyone is planning a trip or wants information on when to go/what to do, I'd be glad to help you out.

Thx.

T

2. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

Thanks for the offer. Where and what time of year would be a great place for some rainbows and/or cuts in the freshwater. I like both rivers and lakes. Thanks

3. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

What do you know about the Nome area, for like Grayling, Dollies, and salmon. I always wanted to go up there, just for a different experience from like Kenai or Birstol Bay. Is it very crowded up there, at least compared to more popular spots. Any info would be appriciated. And if you do need any advice on where to go in Washington, just ask, cause I'm pretty much and encyclopedia on flyfishing in WA.

Jon

4. n1507l

n1507l New Member

Cuts are available only in southeastern Alaska. Most people don't go to target them, but there are a few in some streams and lakes. Wouldn't really recommend a trip just for them.

As far as rainbows, most people target south central and southwest Alaska - good fishing can be had from June through September. When to go depends on where you are going and what "kind" of fishing you want to do. You get the largest number of big 'bows in shallow water in September, but you're fishing egg patterns, beads and flesh flies primarily (not "true" fly fishing by some enthusiasts)- the weather is often uncooperative during this time of the year as well. Fishing nymphs and dries is typically best in June and July.

Remember, Alaska is a big state and asking when to go and where in a broad sense is just like trying to cover the entire Pacific Northwest in a few sentences!

Let me know if you want more details.

T

5. n1507l

n1507l New Member

In the Nome area, there are several options - but best known is the grayling fishing. You can get grayling out there that top 22"!

There are lodges and fish camps on the Pilgrim Niukluk and Kuzitrin rivers that offer trophy grayling fishing. Char can also be found there in tremendous numbers. The waters out of this area have been relatively unfished, even by Alaska standards. YOu can also get into some silver salmon.

Most rivers out of the Nome area are class I and II, therefore making them easy floats for grayling on dry flies, dollies and some silvers. The best time is in June and July. There is good fishing in August and Sept, but it's the rainy season out there and waters can be flushed out in a big hurry.

Further south, the Kuskokwim drainage, you can get sheefish and some Kings, as well as some quality Rainbows.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Travis

6. Jonduke

Jonduke New Member

Thanks a lot for the info. I do have a couple other questions- what about Pinks and chums in those rivers? I've read that they are pretty abundaunt. Also, are any of the rivers there good for bank-fishing or wading? And timing-wise, would July be the best time for grayling, dollies, and hopefully the salmon? I thought that cohos came in later, but I am mainly interested in pinks and chums anyway.
    And if you don't mind answering a couple more questions, I was also looking into southeast AK, at some of the forest service cabins. The two places I was most intruiged are were Castle River and Kah Sheets creek, by Petersburg. Do you know anyhting about those. Well, thanks a ton for the information.

Jon