Invisible fence for Dogs..Advice Please!!!

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by J.Michelle Swope, May 3, 2011.

1. J.Michelle Swope

J.Michelle Swope Yes, I said "bobi-cator"

I have two 11 month old labs, and have just moved to three acres. I bought a sportdog invisible fence system with two collars, but am nervous as I've never set one up before.
    Does anyone have any advice, wisdom, tricks, do's and do not's on both installation and training? I have to watch the dvd that comes with the system, but I want this to go as well as possible, so any advice or opinions are welcome!!:)

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Two young Yellow Labs at the time and my home in Ashland. Really didn't want to fence the thing in so used a similar system. Remember the wire has to make a 360 degree circuit around the property. The trick is (and I'll make an assumption here) is the flag set up a couple of feet IN SIDE the wire. Do the wire and lead the dogs up to the line of flags on leaches. Idea is for them to get a light shock and get the idea that 'beyond the line of flags 'There be Dragons.'

It took some doing to get Sandy and Bella to associate the white flags and the Dragons, but they got it. Now two sets of potential 'bad news.' First (not knowing the kit) that much acreage may be too much due to line voltage drop. The second is even when they know what the flags represent, something really gets their attention they'll probably plow right through and take the 'hit.'

Fred

3. martyg

martyg Active Member

Don't know how serous you are about training your dogs.... Just keep in mind that if you want to hunt your dogs you'll want to use a remote training collar, and the invisible fence is going to hinder that training. Also, white flags, marks, etc. are widely used in running patterns as well.

4. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

This was my experience as well when a family member installed a system for her yellow lab. Once he figured out he could get a running head start he would plow through it and take the shock if there was something he really wanted on the other side. This was a family dog and not a well trained one at that so if you are going to put the time in with your pups maybe it will work out.

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

yup, that's a Lab for you.......

6. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I've had a number of dogs, both labs and setters, at a couple different locations, and the invisible fence has worked very well. Sometimes, on some dogs (my present setter is an example) they will run through the fence. To cure that, I put the e-collar on her and set up some distractions outside the fence. When she ran through, I used a low level stimulation (continuous). So the shock followed her out of the yard. I called her back and after two sessions like this, she has been perfect for over a year. The fence I have is the "Invisible Fence" brand, which is very good, but expensive. If you Google "Invincible Fence" there is a guy in Spokane who works throughout WA and OR. He installed my fence on my two acres in Winthrop, for less than half the price of Invisible Fence, and the collar is rechargeable instead of needing batteries every 3 months. Both fences have a variable zone width and shock strength. With the zone at 8 feet (making a 16' shock width) and shock strength at max, I would be very surprised to have a dog run through consistently. Before that, I had an Inotek fence, which worked well but the wire was pretty small gauge and broke after not too long. I like the fences installed underground and of a heavier gauge. BTW-I use an e-collar on my dog while I hunt and have never had any problem with correcting her and having the fact that she lives in an invisible fence doing any harm. I love having my dog free to roam my 5 acres and not worry about her getting run over in traffic or going off hunting on her own and getting lost. Rick

7. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

8. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

I have the Invisible Fence system and initially had a couple issues with them "running" the fence but a adjustment to the higher setting and a little retraining fixed the problem. Couple days ago a cottontail wandered into the yard and both dogs bolted for it. I thought for sure they would run the fence as my girlfriend's dog was two steps behind that bunny, but she pulled up short right where the flags used to be. Great systems when you get them working right!

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

I used the Invisble Fence for years on two lab mixes and it was one of the best investments I ever made. After a couple of months of use, I could have taken up a collection from the grateful neighbors and I would more than paid for it!

That being said, I have seen it fail miserably. Actually, the fence didn't fail, the owners failed in their training. Our dogs were quite well obedience trained first, something Invisible Fence Co. recommended. They were used to obeying commands. I followed the training regimen religiously and even extended it a bit to make sure that they really got it before letting them roam around the yard unattended. This took 2-3 weeks and I set up distractions outside the yard to test their resolve. I also made up a command that I taught them to get them away from the boundary and back in the safe zone. This worked well and even 10 years later if I said "Get Back", they immediately ran to the center of the yard. One tip is that when you finally let them wander into the shock zone, keep them fairly close to the edge of it so that they don't get too long of a shock and be ready to pull them back to safety if needed.

The people that I know who had failures always had poorly trained dogs to start with and they discontinued the training/monitoring well before the dog was ready to be turned loose in the yard without being watched/under voice command. I guess they thought that they would install the system and the dogs would magically stay in the yard. Their dogs learned that they were home free on the other side and just charged out when ever they felt like it. These people all eventually stopped using the system complaining 'it didn't work'.

Good luck. Be diligent about the training and it will be worth it!

10. woods

woods Member

We had one for my basset hound for many years. Once she was trained it worked great. We would have deer and rabbits on our property that she would chase to the fence but never went past it. She even got conditioned to where if the batteries on her collar ran out she still would not cross the invisible fence, she knew where she was allowed/not allowed to go.

11. martyg

martyg Active Member

Hey Rick - just curious...

Was your dog fine with stimulation when you got into force fetching and running to a pile?

12. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Marty-She is only 1 1/2 years old and we have not force fetch trained her yet. She is actually a pretty good natural retriever so far. Working on steady to flush and shot right now and getting her really staunch on point. BTW-I read your article you posted a while ago and you are a great writer! I really enjoyed reading that! Rick

13. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

I've used invisible fences in the past, but I would never use them again.

1) they do not keep other dogs, animals or people out.
    2) they only work as long as what's outside the fenced area is less interesting than the pain they would experience for breaking out of the fence.
    3) dogs will get collar wise- low battery? Forgot to put the collar on? Forget about it..

I don't care how well trained the dog is, there is always something that can make them break.

14. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Kaari-I would disagree with you here. I just haven't had ANY problems with 4 different dogs on my 5 acres. No, the fence doesn't keep other dogs out, but I don't want to fence the whole 5 acres both esthetically and financially, so I put up with neighbor dogs who come to visit my dog. My other option is to keep my dog in the run most of the time. I also have an invisible fence at my cabin in Winthrop and that one even goes out into Big Twin lake so my dog can go down and get a drink or go for a swim. I just can't think of another viable option for my situation, and even when there are deer to chase in Winthrop, my setter runs at very high speed, putting on the brakes at the last minute to avoid the fence. Rick

15. J.Michelle Swope

J.Michelle Swope Yes, I said "bobi-cator"

Well, thank you all for your advice, experiences, etc. I finally went with Invisible Fence Northwest. I HIGHLY reccomend this outfit. They provide the system, install and train for one price. Additionaly, they gaurentee containment (as long as you abide by the training regime, which is super easy, and works quite well).
    I trained both 11 month old labs (brothers) for 15 days, and they are both able to run the property now.
    Their training has been tested several times now, once by a deer and several times by rabbits who have a habit of lurking just over the invisible fence line. Neither dog breached the system.
    I could not be more pleased with the training and service we received. Additionaly, they have an automatic mailing system set up so you receive the batteries for the collars in the mail every 45 days.
    I give them a HUGE thumbs up!!!