Is anyone not fishing a two-hander?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Panhandle, Nov 5, 2007.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

...and the guys casting 40 feet aren't getting to the steelhead.:beathead:

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

And they say men don't have PMS. :eek:

It's one thing when we're in the grips of Winter and everyone has blue balls, but this shit is rediculous.

There's a sale on tampons over at Safeway ya little weanies.:beer1:

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I well I guess I am a weanie than. :D

:beer1:

I have one thing to say though, call me a weanie or whatever I don't give a rat's ass BUT:

Why is it that people can't complain, argue, bitch, moan, fight, cuss, and get highly opinionated around here without name calling ensuing?

I mean are the weanies the ones arguing?

Or are the weanies the ones who won't argue and stand up to their opinions?

I would much rather have this forum be an all out slug fest than some yancy place for reports and pics.

Fishing is too important to me to not argue and get pissed about all kinds of stuff.

So anyway, why don't guys who call everything a "pissing match", a "troll" (whatever that means), "weanies" et cetera KISS MY ASS.

I come here to talk about fihing and express my opinions about it not to hold hands and share.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

What are you talking about guy? I argue constantly.:D In fact I'm ranked #3 asshole on this forum. Didn't you see this weeks rankings? :beer2:

Bueler, I'm going to calli tas I see it, so don't get hurt when I say this.....

Your efforts for recognition, regardless of how negative they are--- are not getting validated. I know this, because your posts have no substance, are irrelelevent to the thread, and are clearly geared for reaction in order to gain attention. I don't get it and don't want to know what's behind it... i'm just sayin'

5. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I gotta say, I wouldn't know trendy if it bit me in the ass. The wife is charge of things that are stylish/cool/trendy/hip. I'm in charge of mowing the lawn and getting rid of spiders.

I am in the middle of buying a spey rod for one simple reason:

Casting my 8wt single handed rod with a sinking tip the distances needed to fish larger rivers tires me the hell out. I'm not the strongest guy and I'm hardly perfect at casting. Within a couple of days of spey practice, I could cast just as far with a lot less effort. I love single handed rods, and if I were a stronger, less lazy, person I'd fish them all of the time.

But I'm not.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

iagree:ray1: Brilliantly said. it's just plain smart.

7. inland

inland Active Member

Jbeuhler,

80' with a single hand spey, all day long? God of all casting right there. No question about it...your 40' in winter steelhead land is covering the majority of fish. But NOT all and those you are missing could likely be the difference between hooking up or not.

If it works for you then by all means keep after it.

Panhandle...nice job on the shatpot you boiled today!!!

William

8. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Is that why I haven't been able to catch any?:beathead: :confused: :beathead: :confused:

9. HauntedByWaters

And this thread wasn't geared for a reaction?

I like to stir the pot just like you. ;)

I just can't stand it when people put words in my mouth.

And I would have to disagree with you being the number 3 asshole, I would say you clearly deserve the number 1 position.

10. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

William, just wait to see what I got cooking in the oven for tomorrow.:rofl:
    Do you want those damn boots or not?

11. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Got me a few of those switch rods...

Beats the hell out of trying to single-overhead a 6" 1/8oz leech, and an 1/8oz bassweight.

The traddys gasp and clutch their breasts at my flawed technique, but I have fun and catch fish.

Besides, I learned long ago...the fish don't really care about rods, reels, outerwear, and the like.

IMHO,
    Mark

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

iagree - talk about using the right tool for the job.:beer2: Kinda like crossing that line when you realize your ultra weighted fly and massive bobbicator is so big and hard to cast with a sigle hander, that you start to wonder if a 2 hander would do the job better.... or better yet, use the gear rod that does the job so much more efficiently :)

Spey rod fishers - because it's the only rod of their own that they'll ever fit two hands on :ray1:

(just trying to bump myself above panhandle in the asshat rankings :thumb:)

Seriously, who cares. It's just fishing.....

13. HauntedByWaters

Once again I never said I could cast 80' with a single handed spey all day long.

I said I could do it, but not all day long and no I am not the God of casting.

14. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

Here's my case for the two hander:

#1- The matter of scale. Determine appropriate gear by working backwards from the fly. If I want to cast a big, soaked, lead-eyed beast of a fly, I'll take more grains of flyline over less as the medium for delivery. I'll take more of a rod to push more of a line as well. To reduce strain on my wrist, I'll put two hands on said rod. I wouldn't pick up a 10oz tack hammer to drive a railroad spike. I would pick up a sledgehammer, and I would use both hands.

#2- Distribution of load. This was already mentioned in the first note, but the leverage working against a single hander when you starting climbing up in rod weight and/or length, eventually begins eliminating people. I spent a winter fishing the Skagit with a Loomis 9' 9wt IMX, tips, and weighted flies. It sucked. I was flirting with tendonitis by the end of it. Putting two hands on the problem totally changes the physics in favor of the caster.

#3- Economy of motion- I'm sure there are guys who can single-handed spey considerably better than myself, but I very often find that I use a spey cast to change direction off the dangle, then pick up into an overhead cast for presentation. As previously mentioned, single handed speys work better with less to present. When I go to weighted flies or flies with any size or bulk, I almost always end with an overhead cast. With a two-hander, the change of direction and presentation is accomplished at once. No false casting or other "unnecessary" motions.

All that said, I fish the smallest rods I can. I have a Sage 5120, a couple 6126's, a Meiz 11'7", a Loomis Metolius 13'4" 5/6, and a Winston 11' 7wt at the light end of the spectrum. Anything over 3-4lbs is putting a bend in these rods, some more than others. A 6-10lb methow steelhead is a very game fish on these rods.

In really brushy, tight quarters I'll take out the 9'6" Scott g-series 7wt single-hander and overline it. I like the scott from time to time for skating dries, though I only do that a couple times a year at most. I would also consider a single-hander for extreme low-water conditions when I couldn't count on riffle noise to cover the sound of spey casting.

The biggest knock against a two-hander is really more a matter of casting technique. All spey casts begin at the dangle, i.e. the end of the swing. In my mind, they excel over single handers for a swung or greased line presentation. I have been toying around with adapting my efforts to include upstream indicator presentations for those dark holes & seams that don't lend themselves to a swung fly, but this will remain a technique best suited to overhead casting.

15. inland

inland Active Member

Adam,

Can't wait till 'morrow.

William