Is anyone not fishing a two-hander?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Panhandle, Nov 5, 2007.

1. TC

TC I live with wind knots

Mr. William, though you didn't say YOU fished 60-90 days a winter season, the way you structured your sentence certainly implied that you did, as you would have the experience regarding slinging a one hander over that period of time. All in jest none the less reading all the afore antagonistic rancor. Oh, and eat your own.:beer2:

2. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Good call! I'll let my "wife" know what to get me... :beer2: Hopefully they will sell them as blanks, I find it really hard to find rods made with the Cerise color I find so favorable for rods.....

Scott

3. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

We used to show people how (with both hands together in front of your chest and holding your arms against your sides so you were using only your wrists) easily the custom yancy lines and floating head systems throw using only spey styles and a 10' Rainshadow rod.

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

yup, they are not marketing them as spey rods, though. I believe they were calld "reach arounds" or something. :rofl:

5. Lenkerr

Lenkerr Aimless Wanderer

nope not me. I have a hard enough time not taking my eye out with my 6wt :). This will end up being like Skiers v Snowboards. :) We'll all agree to disagree and wind up on the river together :thumb:

6. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

^
    Yeah I agree with some of that.

I think it is funny how offended some people become at the fact that other people have an opinion that differs from theirs. In the end this whole arguing over this and that is really counterproductive and divides us.

Every time we fight over this and that WDFW and the kill fisheries just die laughing. They will never have to worry about us standing up for ourselves and opposing them with a united stand, with common goals, until way after we congeal as a fishing group.

Honestly I would like to make a difference. I choose to start here and now. I will not tease the spey guys and hopefully someone can learn from my example and maybe do their own expression of solidarity to bring us together as a community.

The saddest thing is we have already lost the entire war. Here in Washington our runs are decimated. Leaving them completely untouched will still leave us nearly nothing as brood stock in the puget sound rivers.

Hope we all enjoyed arguing over rods over the last decade instead of advancing the sport with better results and more fish to hand.

7. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Home Page:
    Word.
    Best post in this thread.
    If all this energy spent hating on our fellow river users went into something constructive like taking a more proactive role in managment of our waters instead of leaving it up to big brother, chances are we'd have some fine fishing on our hands.

8. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Maybe its not the opinion, but the way that opinion is conveyed. Not trying to get on you Jeremy. I think it's cool that your looking to turn over a new leaf. But I would say that its undrstandable how people would get upset over some of the stuff that was written and wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Glad to see this thread's still alive. . . . I use Spey rods because altho I've been fly fishing all my adult life, and keep gettin' richer, but I can't get my picture, on the cover of . . . oh Fly Fisherman or NW Flyfishing or whatever. Maybe if I upgrade my waders and sunglasses too, that would help.

10. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Salmo, you're classic!!

11. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Thanks Pan - those should be a big hit at the coming Spey Pride Claves. :rofl:

12. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

I like a two hander because they are a blast to cast. But also they are easier on the arm. They allow you to cast easily when in tight situations. They allow you to cast far when you need to, and keep your line off the water when you do cast a distance. But I like a single hander on smaller water, or runs where you plain don't need to cast very far. But, most the time I don't like taking multiple rods out to the river, and I usually just take the spey. One rod is enough for me to keep track of. :)

13. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i just dont care about spey rods. too heavy, too long, no fight in a fish, to expensive,etc. mike w

14. Ed Call

Ed Call Uber Trill Moderator Staff Member

Never touched one, no idea how to cast one, too many single handers to consider switching. What I would like to do is find a two hander, watch him/her work and then see if I can foresee adding such a stick to my quiver.

15. knothead

knothead Banned or Parked

I really like the two handed rods, or more accurately those who fish them. Usually if I fish about fifty or so yards below them, thats where all the fish are hiding from the commotion that is being created on the water. Most spey casters should spend alot more time practicing thier craft before they take it to the river, if they want to catch fish.
    Every once in a while I'll run into someone who actually knows what they are doing, and it is worthwhile to just sit and watch.