Is Cabelas fly rods any good?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Akuriko, Apr 3, 2014.

1. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

Yes and no. If the $60. rod is total crap, it makes it hard to learn. People will give up out of frustration. Try to learn a musical instrument on a piece of crap. It can be done, but most will walk away.

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

The bigger question is whether their tractors and lawnmowers are any good. Yup, sure enough, right there in my most recent catalog. Damn, as soon as they add groceries, I'll never have to shop at another store. :D

3. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

Today i looked at a eagle claw 8.5 footer 5wt and it was stiff very fast and for some reason it didnt want to break down, online it said 2 pieces but i tried both models of the black eagle fly rod and it didnt get taken into 2, but i decided to share it with you all, first time i saw my walmart having a fly rod, lol even if it was $20.00 new, lol so the cheapest one wont do for my friend. :)

4. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    Akuriko, be honest now, is this thread really about buying a flyrod or is the flyrod purchase subtext for anxieties about going on a date?

If it is the latter, chill, relax, have fun, practice talking with the girl.
    If it is the former, man up, buy a rod.

Maybe the whole decision would be easier if you value your time higher, at minimum say $15 an hour. How much time have you spent worrying about the 5 weight? That is the cost of your decision, not the list price of your rod...

5. Akuriko

Akuriko Member

I acually am looking for her, i own a few fly rods myself, she has a hard time making decisions.

6. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

If I have this right, Akuriko is a 35 year old female looking to get a disabled person out fly fishing.
    Also pretty sure she's in Grant County. Would be nice if a local fly club member could help out a bit.
    Akuriko correct me if I'm wrong and maybe check out the local fly fishing club. Ours, in Spokane, has a beginners
    class going on now. Great way to start and meet some new people.

7. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

An insider tells me the American Dream rod Cabelas sells in made by Sage.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Well it's a good thing she has a friend like you, who makes lightning fast decisions! (jk)

9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

ARE Cabela's rods any good?
    :rolleyes:

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I can attest to casting my brother in laws new Cabelas combo. He picked up a 5wt recently. It was a dream to cast surprisingly. The combo was truly dialed in straight out of the tube. And worked like a charm. He was able to do pin point casts, and hooked/landed an over 20" trout on the Yakima with it. Had to fight that fish, and played like a dream.

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

I have only used a Cabelas switch rod, once, on the Yakima in December. I cast a nymph rig 50 feet on my first ever Skagit cast! If I ever need a two-hander, they will be in consideration, along with TFO, Echo, and Loop.

12. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

They don't seen to fish many Spey rods and switch rods here in Montana. I asked about then in my local fly shop. They don't get a call for them here.

You would think that one would work on the Madison, down in the canyon as wide as it is there. But the river isn't very deep as you see guys wading out to the middle of it.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  14. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Thanks Roper for pointing out the obvious. I read Akuriko's post minutes after it was posted and started to answer it with a two word sentence: "They is!" But then I suspected that the PC community on the board would call me out for being snarky to someone to whom English is obviously a second language and didn't do it. Instead I offered the best advice I had and let it go at that.

Now after pages of this stuff I kind of feel that many of us got sucked into the conversation by virtue of our very nature to be helpful. By now I have no idea if Akuriko is a guy, a girl, something in between or a computer generated troll. Had I just typed "They is!" and been taken seriously we probably could have avoided 5 pages of redundant bullshit.

Ive

15. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

I read an article in Montana Fly Fishing (montanaflyfishingmagazine.com) on spey fishing the Missouri. I also watched "Where the Yellowstone Goes" last night, and they did a little bit of spey casting. Good movie. I would like a light spey rod for those rivers and any opportunity for a summer steelhead trip.