Is it a mans fly fishing world??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaari White, Jul 8, 2006.

1. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I agree with what has been said for the most part. Reconsider your friends could be a start.

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet... But many of you still won't like it, but it could easily be part of it....

Perhaps some of the wives are exactly thrilled about their husbands camping out with a girl they don't know - especially since you aren't 'attached' to one of the men.

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

OK, I posted at the same time you were. Sounds like it's the 'old boys club' attitude.

It's kinda silly I guess, but I can see some trips being 'with the guys'. They are free to think that way just as you are free to fish with someone else. But I'd think your dad and his and your friends should have stuck to their guns better...

3. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Chadk,

That thought never crossed my mind, but here is my retort to that. It would be one thing if you were going it alone with "Jami-Wa" on a trip, but to be going with a group of people, one of which is the father of the girl.

Tell them all to get F-***ed fish 50 yards from their camp and start fishing to their fish. Catch said fish and make sure to hold it up for a glory shot with them in the background of the pic crying.

4. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Yep, happens sometimes. Sucks, doesn't it?

I'll fish with ya even though you are a girl. I might need help with a couple of my knots though. ;)

5. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Something of a relative, more of an acquaintance, once joked about doing psychanalysis over the internet. I said, "That is not funny, my grammer checker keeps telling me I have written a passive sentence or phrase." Then I asked this English professor what is a passive sentence. He said it means that there is no author. No one to take responsibility! For instance, " It may be that, or it could be that, or perhaps, or it may be true that, it is possible."

I will not write a passive sentence in this instance. If the situation is accurate as you last described it then your father is not deserving of your fishing company. I will bet that the wise and compassionate people on this board who advised you to re-evaluate your friends are looking for ways to say this. It is clear from the previous posts that it is not the fly fishing world that is excluding you, it is your father.

Re-read ee cummings, college woman, where he says " I didn't know, I didn't know you could jump up and tell them all to go take a flying rimbeau at the moon." Then contact those who have offered, and go fishing with them, damned secure in the knowledge that you will have pleased.

Steve

6. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

After being left out of a trip for lacking the necessary equipment, I've had a realization. I have to make some new friends.... to do that, I've decided to start my own style of fly fishing: Power fly fishing. :clown:

http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=17227

Really, I think I've over it. I go fly fishing a lot. Although I'd love to go, I think I'll live through this relatively minor upset. Plus, now I have 3 additional vacation days to put towards other trips with people actually want to be around me!

7. toddsbernina

toddsbernina New Member

power fishing is lame. You should look in to starting a bikini fishing trend.;)

8. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

9. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

I agree with everyone else that it's a lousy deal that you aren't welcome after attending for so many previous years. If it were to be the first time you wanted to go and you were told "it's for men only" then I think it would be a little different.

But apparently, it's not just men in the fly fishing world who are sexist! http://www.northwestwomenflyfishers.com/

As for me, I enjoy having a member of the "fairer" gender along on trips, I wish my wife enjoyed fishing. Besides, having women around helps keep me from making a total fool of myself!:eek: And I'm still upset that they won't let me join Curves.bawling:

10. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

I agree with the consensus here. You have been discriminated against by all involved but it happens. Move on and just continue to be yourself without pretense; you'll find worthwhile fishing companions. There are other women I know who are single who fish with men, both married and single. You can't please everyone and the true nature of your "friends" eventually becomes evident. It's okay to feel hurt because you've been hurt. Based on your posts, I say you'll do fine. I only wish I had the time to join some other guys and go with you and set up camp next door. I'm 60 and I would find your company refreshing;there is something to learn from everyone. I, also, am disappointed in your father but that's another issue that involves more issues than I am qualified to speak about without knowing you both.

Randy

11. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    I think your Dad and his buddies should be men enough to nip that in the butt real quick. They should tell Doushbag#1 how they feel and not go with them. Instead, you and they should be going somewhere else and keep the trip scheduled and continue the tradition, without the ding dongs.

12. otter

otter Banned or Parked

Two words, both in Webster's or whatever dictionary you want to consult.

Chauvinist

Misogynist

The first habitually demeans women, the other just plain hates women, for reasons i wish i didn't understand. Anyway, third definition - mine own. "WASTE OF SKIN." Referring to your supposed friends who wouldn't or couldn't stand up. Total egregious bullshit.

So now, my dear, would you please get back to cooking and sewing and cleaning house and washing and making yourself pretty.

The only regret i have is that you couldn't clean his clock somehow..........

Otter

13. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

If my daughter was told she wasn't allowed after she'd been on a few trips and was capable, then not only would i NOT go, i would probably punch out one or both douchebags...Sorry, there is no excuse for that.

14. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Unfortunately, there are a lot of men in the world who don't enjoy the company of women. I try to find the ones who love, or at least like us for how and who we are. They tend to be the most fun to hang out with, and they don't think women are idiots.:thumb:

I love men and how different they are from us women.:beer2:

15. ral

ral Rich Layendecker

My father in law runs a poker club at a retirement community - the club was open to all until a woman wanted to join. About half the men objected - their argument was that a woman would put a damper on their fun: they would have to watch their language and could not tell objectionable stories, etc.. The upshot was that women are allowed grudgingly on one night but another night is guys only. I can sort of understand these guys because they are old - dinosaurs from an earlier epic that classifed everyone based on age, gender, religion and race. Being dinosaurs they cannot adapt.

In the particular case with the fishing trip, you ran into a dinosaur and the organizer of the trip did not have the courage to stand up to him.