Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Is the world of digital photography

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Siskiyoublues 
#1 ·
#10 ·
The Lytro cameras are actually really fascinating. I got to hang out with the Lytro crew, play with the camera, and talk with their directory of photography while I was in vegas for CES.

Here's a photo I took of my iphone taking a photo (clever, eh?):

http://www.lytro.com/lytro-camera-launch/5669

Here's a photo of my ugly mug:

http://www.lytro.com/lytro-camera-launch/5670

At the moment, it's not going to replace "serious" cameras. But the technology is amazing and when you talk to the on the Lytro team about what they could theoretically do going forward it's pretty neat. The cameras themselves won't be the easiest for some of you to handle. The touch screen LCD is small and the few controls on the body are not particularly easy to feel. It's really more in a trendy "early adopter" form factor right now. That will probably change in the future as the 2nd and 3rd gen products come out.

Very VERY neat though. I can't wait to get one in my hands for a full review.

#14 ·
If you are ok compromising ultimate quality for a gimmick!

;)
There's not really any way to say that with any accuracy.

After all, consider this. Given the way the the light field cameras gather information, you could have a Lytro camera that could eliminate all lens aberrations simply by knowing what they were and where they existed in the lens/image circle and then calculating for that fact when processing.

It's really a fascinating concept when you start too look at what they should be able to do with it.

#16 ·
I think color digital especially high ISO performance has surpassed film.
My comment was kind of troll'ish. I think it's a very very cool concept camera and the technology is pretty remarkable.
But it is being introduced at the consumer/point and shoot level market, so it is for people who want something that is easy and convenient. Not people who are chasing perfection.
I would be interested in seeing 100% crops of the original files.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.