Is there a Peacock herl substitute?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by generic, Apr 5, 2013.

1. gmcgilli66

gmcgilli66 Member

In addition to this, I dab a layer of head cement onto the underlying thread and then over wrap with my peacock "rope". Works well for shaping dragon bodies as well!

2. Shad

Shad Active Member

Peacock Ice Dub is a great product, IMO. Of course, I'm hardly a purist. I use it for all my larger peacock applications, and I have not observed any drop off in effectiveness of those patterns versus the same patterns tied with natural herl. What I have noticed is that the bugs I tie with Ice Dub are much more durable. In some cases, the "bugginess" that teased out dubbing provides turns some effective flies into bonafide killers. The color-changing property of natural herl fascinates me personally, but I doubt the fish are as impressed as I am with that effect. Besides, the Ice Dub contains copper-colored fibers, so that effect is at least somewhat covered.

All this said, I still use natural herl for small bugs, and for situations where the cool, rough, yet even profile that herl creates is simply "correct," even of the tier is the only one who really cares. All the methods mentioned for strengthening herl are good ones.

Perhaps the takeaway is that this topic is no different from any other fishing discussion: everyone's got their own opinions, and nobody is wrong. At least in our own experiences, we are all right.

3. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

that's exactly how I do it

4. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

great idea

5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    The wire suggestions are good, and I agree that peacock is magic. I do use peacock ice dub, but only for thorax on certain workhorse flies and don't consider it a substitute.

However, for really fine flies, like my #22 and #24 shellback midge emergers, wire would make them sink.

I counter-wrap black thread on the tiny flies that need to stay up in the film so it doesn't add weight.