Is there such a thing as a good sub $250 reel?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

Very common for companies in fly fishing to have new products out in retail stores before updating their own websites.

2. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Snake River Outfitters has a Snowbee reel (made in the UK..) for under a hundred bucks, it's one of the cassette reels...I'm looking at it.

3. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I have the new Orvis Battenkill bar stock click pawl reel on order for $98. I should be getting the first one in this part of the country. I'll file a report after I catch a few fish on it.

4. kmudgn

kmudgn Active Member

For about 95% of fresh water fishing, the reel is just someplace to hold your line. Even the drag on a "cheap" reel is capable of holding back virtually all trout and land locked salmon you might be lucky enough to hook. Yes, for salt water, steel head and ocean run salmon you will need a reel with a good drag and components. So as far as I an concerned brand name reels for less than $ 150 are more than sufficient. In fact, in Labrador 2 summers ago I was catching 6-8 lb brook trout with my old 8-9 wt Battenkil reell. I did have some friends on the trip with me who had much fancier reels, but the fish did not seem to care.

5. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

I haven't read all four pages...but...Redington Drift and Rise reels.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

7. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I had an old guy tell me the same thing years ago when i was a kid looking at a fly reel in a shop. He said to save my money on a reel and spend it on casting lessons and books/literature. He gave me a wink and i felt like Santa just gave me a present for life.