Is this comedy or tragedy?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Bradley Miller, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

There are two types of fly tyers, in my opinion. There are guys like Big E who turn out artwork that catch fish, from the bench every time and then there are other guys like me who are hacks. I'm admittedly attention deficite. I can usually tie one or two flies at a sitting and I get restless. During those one or two ties, I make a lot of mistakes. My flies are not pretty so I don't post pics of them but they do fish and that's my only salvation in tying. If I'm going on a trip, I have to start months in advance to have enough flies. I'm already working on my flies for a late June trip to Mexico. Yes, it takes me that long.:mad:

Big_E likes this.
  2. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Thanks a lot for the compliment but I don't see it that way. I class myself as an "experienced hack"...there are many far better tiers than me on WFF. There are plenty of days where I just put shit on a hook and try new things my pile of flies for the razor is what you could call a mound. I'm definately not any better than you.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

See, that's the difference between a tier and a hack. I don't have a razor pile. I probably still have the first fly I ever tied. In fact, I know I do. I tie something and put it in a box. If I don't use it, I still have it. Some day, I'll buy a box of razor blades and go to work on my flies. I have gotten better but almost nothing I tie is worthy of a photo. I'd like to be better but I can't concentrate on the process long enough to make every tie worthwhile. I'd love to tie Atlantic Salmon flies but I believe I'd go crazy about half way through.:) I do catch fish, however so I guess there is a "hack payoff".

4. psycho

psycho Active Member

I teach fly tying to kids 9 to 13, do I do because I am generous and kind? Not really, I am a bit more selfish than that. At 73 years old I need all the practice that I can get. Helping kids learn to tie keeps me up on the basics and lets me practice twice a week that I might not do without without their help. So we both get something from the exercise, plus I get to meet some really nice kids and just maybe when I am really old and feeble some of them might come and move the snow out of my drive way. To the original poster, look for a fly club around your area. There must be a gathering of like minded people there.