Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Island Lake 2/22

811 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
Headed across the highway to Island Lake in Kitsap county for a couple hours this morning in the new pontoon. Thanks to Shawn Seeger for the great sale by the way. Another beautiful day, light breeze out of the south, surface water in the low 40s. Started casting a brown bugger around the island and then the creek on the south end of the lake, no avail. Nothing rising either, so I switched to an olive carey and moved to the open water right off the dock at the county park. As I was moving back toward the boat ramp to take off, I got a tug on the line and missed him on the hookset, the another quick tug and a solid hookset. Stripped in a 12" rainbow, not much of a fight on the new redington rs4 5wt. Right after that fish started surfacing around me, and it looked like some kind of hatch was going on. I'm not too familiar with matching the hatch, but i'd say they looked like caddis maybe. So I tied on an elk hair caddis and caught another small bow, this one 11", and didn't get another hit for 20 minutes, then it was time to go. All this happened around 130pm. Isn't the water a little cold for a hatch like that? Didn't bother me though, I had a good time out there. Now if the great weather will stay around for a while......

#6 ·
Now that you are tying flies you'll be hooked for sure! Speaking of which. Next time we meet up I have to hand you a starter vice. I bought a bunch of used ones a while back. The best two are going to be for my little girls so they can start tying my flies, I'll pass one of them on to you. Let me know when and we'll meet up or I'll bring it to work and have it to hand over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.