Pattern JC caddis

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Davy, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

A swapper in a flyswap was mentioning a JC winged caddis
    well..............

Hook: DaiRiki 270 #10
    over rib- silver wire
    Hareline ICE orange body
    Lt Dun saddle hackle
    JC wing
    scrap hackle black legs
    Hareline ICE black head

Attached Files:

2. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Home Page:
    I dont know if I could use expensive Jungle Cock for caddis wings! Gotta keep that stuff for streamers.

3. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Davey,

Your a sick, sick man. Nice tie though.

REE

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

I know (very ill , lotta room left at the top,heheheh), wasn't a waste though- these were scrap loose nails that I had torn off a worn out Little Cutthroat streamer.

TL/ davy :thumb:

5. Sinktip

Sinktip Monty

iagree That is exactly what was running through my mind as I was scrolling down from the picture.
    Davy, you may need counseling, or at least some shock therapy associated with the use of JC. :ray1:

Monty

6. Calvin1

Calvin1 Active Member

Rather than using the precious jungle cock feathers, you might want to try a pheasant rump feather. I recently started tying a similar caddis. I pull off a pheasant rump feather, put a dab of head cement on it and pull it back along the stem. This makes a great wing after it has dried for a few minutes and would give a similar look to what you have there.

Cavlin

7. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Davey,

My wife and fishing/tying partner bought me a very nice JC neck for my birthday a couple years ago. I think I've only used about 10 nails off of it. I don't want to ruin the look of the neck.

Maybe I'm the sick one?

REE

8. Davy

Davy Active Member

I know what you mean REE, I have an , what I would call perfect, cape that I have used two nails from.I have had this cape for over a decade.It's too perfect and perty to tye from. :rofl:

I tye mostly from lower grade capes for fishing-they are affordable ,even with the bird flu. I have recently used up my better capes though ( dressings that call for 8 or 10 of them do that) and have been on a mission to buy some. Have found a few, some real nice, some ok, and some "fishing quality". Oh well. at least I have more to tye from- "sickness cured"

Have the same probblem with chicken capes.A few years ago (89 ?) Metz Farms put out a " #1 " collection of their capes. -Every cape style they had at the time ( 16 capes) and judged that year to be the best of best. I bought the darn thing and it's still put away in storage complete with the Cree ,Barred Lt Dun ,Barred Honey Dun,and Barred Ginger--- too dang pretty to tie with--LOL. Now thats a sickness I think. :thumb:

davy