JoePa

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Nov 8, 2011.

1. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

http://usat.ly/O6FvfL

"USA Today - Penn State e-mails may show Paterno in on Sandusky coverup"

As I read back through the JOEPA thread here on WFF it's hard not to wince at some of the posts by staunch defenders of Paterno and Penn State. In light of this latest information, perhaps folks will use this as an opportunity for self introspection, and to reset their radar regarding the indications, warnings and enablers of child sexual abuse. Maybe then we will be able to stop more of these awful crimes on children.

2. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

The man is in his grave!

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

He may be in his grave, but for the rest of us there is a lesson here: Be careful who you idolize.

Next topic: Lance Armstrong.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Oh for hell sake, think about what you're saying. How in the hell would anyone have known that one of Joe's coaches was a pedophile? Sandusky is a creeper, plain and simple, no argument. He is guilty of the crime, not Paterno. Had Joe never made a formal statement to the authorities and his management, I would think much less of him -- but he did.

To suggest that anyone you look up to is a clean as the driven snow and might never turn out to be a Sandusky, is ridiculous.

5. generic

generic Active Member

Shhh... Let this one go. If the government gets wind, that JOEPA could have done more, they may just dig up his body, put him on trial, then bury him again... at the tax payers expense.

Look, it seems like they are doing just fine finding ways to waste our money, they don't need our help. :D

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

The reports from Freeh's investigation make it pretty clear that not only did Paterno, president Graham Spanier, Athletic Director Tim Curley, and V.P. Gary Schultz know the severity of the case, they deliberated it and noted that if they didn't report it they could later be held legally liable, yet still conspired to cover it up, at Paterno's urging, no less. That pretty well sinks Penn State as far as complicity in child sex abuse. This is going to cost the University dearly.

7. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Bingo...

8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

And just now, the internal Penn State investigation findings have been released, with damning results for Paterno and the other "leaders" in question:

"An internal probe into the Penn State child sex abuse scandal found that top university officials, including former president Graham Spanier and then-head football coach Joe Paterno, concealed allegations of abuse by ex-assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky to "avoid the consequences of bad publicity.

"Spanier and Paterno, as well as former university vice president Gary Schultz and ex-athletic director Tim Curley, failed to protect victims from Sandusky, the report found. "Some coaches, administrators and football program staff members ignored the red flags of Sandusky's behaviors and no one warned the public about him," the report says."

Full story: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/12/review-into-penn-states-handling-of-sandusky-scandal-to-be-released/?hpt=hp_t1

9. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    I just wish trout would pounce on my fly offerings the way that trial attorneys are going to pounce on Penn State. Ever thrown out food pellets into a crowded koi pond?

Lugan likes this.
  10. generic

generic Active Member

No, but a buddy of mine caught a ton of Brute stock on (and I SWEAR I'm not making this up) a "pellet fly" in Oregon, after a local fish hatchery flooded into an adjacent stream. They couldn't catch those fish to save their lives for two days, then his friend jokingly suggested tying brown chenille on a hook... presto! Third day was a charm!

11. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Few years back I was in Northern Cal and stopped by The Fly Shop in Redding and found these in stock https://catalog.theflyshop.com/prod...=7703&osCsid=ig8k0r6qgecja0236q0022p018s0tt2t ......I did not buy any but always found it funny.

12. generic

generic Active Member

That is awesome Sky! Who would of thought....

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Never heard of brooders being referred to as "brute stock". Kind of like it, especially if they had fins......

14. generic

generic Active Member

LOL, sorry... that's the name I give them :D

15. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

Penn State officials have announced the statue of Joe Paterno will remain outside the stadium, but it will now look the other way.

(ok, I stole this joke)

Jeff Sawyer, ribka and Lugan like this.