JoePa

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Nov 8, 2011.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Josh. So nothing happened from 2002 to 2009 when the parents started investigating and got the cops involved. So during those 7 years nobody has done nothing? And the investigation has been going on for the past two years and has just now surfaced to the media?

2. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

As for Sandusky I do agree. As for the rest, it shows that some know more then others and how much they all knew we will not know. Again till we find out all of it, I'm not going to throw all in the fire yet.

3. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

IMO Joe, and everyone else that knew this was going on, is as guilty as Sandusky. How many kids suffered at his hands while Penn State (yes like the Catholic Church) protected their reputation? Disgusting!

4. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Where do you see Joe P knowing anything that he didn't report to his superior? He never says Paterno witnessed anything, the grad assistant did and reported what he saw the next day to Paterno who reported it to his superior. That person who is the VP of Penn State University was told of the details and neglected to report it. It is not clear the grad assistant told Paterno the extent of the abuse. We can't blame Paterno if he has been hung out to dry by people who may have been trying to protect him by not telling him the details.

Sandusky is a predator for sure. I would bet he is trying to normalize the rape/abuse he took as a child from a superior. That is the opinon of an amatuer psycholigist/golf instructor so don't take it to seriously.

This is a sad story at alot of levels.

5. Joepa

Joepa Joe from PA

For the record, I’m from PA and a ’91 PSU alumnus. Nobody from the university reported the 2002 incident to the police (although Paterno reported it up the chain of command to the AD and ultimately it was reported to Gary Schultz who incidentally had oversight of the university police for those of you wondering why the “VP for business and finance” got involved). As for what “any reasonable person” would have done, well, that’s open to debate depending on who the person is. Considering Paterno, based on the indictment, it’s not clear what Mike McQueary told Paterno and we don’t know what Paterno told the AD. It’s possible (although doubtful in my mind) that Paterno did the reasonable thing based on what he was told. As far as McQueary’s actions, although very questionable, there are some other circumstances to consider. McQueary played HS football with Sandusky’s son and obviously Sandusky was one his coaches at PSU, so presumably McQueary had strong, 10 year plus relationship with Sandusky. In light of that, McQueary’s actions are somewhat understandable - he may very well have been in a state of shock regarding the locker room incident and his subsequent actions were then based on the guidance he received from his father (who also had a relationship with Sandusky).
    Nevertheless, based on the indictment, there’s no doubt in my mind that Sandusky is guilty and based on what I have read I have pretty much concluded that all parties involved here were guided by their interests, followed by the perceived interests of the university and the football program as opposed to the victims (and potential victims) and getting a pedophile off the streets. That’s inexcusable to me, and I understand the outrage. Joe

6. Jeff Sawyer

Reporting it to his superior was not enough for the kids that were molested after Joe and his superior knew about it.

Do you think for a minute he just walked in and reported it and then nothing was ever said again?

If I reported something like that to my boss and I keep seeing the guy at work everyday I'm going to ask what the F is going on. And take it to the authorities myself...that's a cop out...if this is proven, they need to tatoo "I'm a child molester" or "I enable child molesters" on their foreheads and throw everyone that knew anything about this in prison...and let the boys in there do with them as they please.

7. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

iagreeiagreei

8. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Paterno reported what someone else saw to the Vp of Penn State University. It's not like he called the Athletic director or some alumni to cover it up. Yeah I agree in hindsight he didn't go far enough but let's not lose sight of the fact that he did report it.

9. Jeff Sawyer

I don't think the parents of any of the victims after this incident will be standing in line to give him a medal for that.

10. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Someone at your workplace tells you they witnessed a coworker commiting a violent felony against a child at your place of work and you tell your boss! Let's say the grad assistant and Joe P. didn't work there, just two people visiting the campus. Who should they report it to? Iis it different since they are associated with the school? If you are are afraid of repercusions then why do you work for an organization that puts it's intrest above the safety of children? Shouldn't Joe have handed his cell phone to the grad assitant and said, "who's calling 911, me or you?"

11. rockthief

rockthief ^ me and Bridger

who here would not have rescued that boy, pummeled Sandusky and left him on the floor, clothed the boy, then called the police right away? Anyone?
    Another thing, if there are nine boys known to have been raped I quarantee you there were many more boys hurt and damaged over those long years. I treated sex offenders and abuse survivors in therapeutic settings so I am well-informed on the topic. There is lots of blame to be shouted out and it looks like most of it is deserved. Sex offenders don't stop. THey don't stop. I could tell you stories...

12. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

What pisses me off the most is the Joe had a chance to be a REAL hero.

13. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I'd actually recommend you not read it. It will sicken you. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for Paterno or anyone else who had knowledge of a heinous crime and did nothing. WTF would you do if an employee came to you and related what this guy saw? Would you just tell your "boss" (as if Joe P. isn't the real boss of the athletic department) and then forget it and go back to work? It was the rape of a child! And, what excuse does this so-called graduate assistant, now an assistant coach, have for failing to intervene, much less calling the police when he KNEW nothing was being done?

All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Didn't this really start in 1999, when Sandusky resigned unexpectedly. He quit at age 55, which should be prime time for a coach and someone who was a possible successor to Paterno. So why did he quit???
    My thoughts are this fire started long before the reported 2002 incident, which makes it even more egregious that it wasn't report to the police.
    Joe Paterno need to go now, not at the end of the season.

15. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Yeah, it's sure sounding that way:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/s...nvestigation-raises-additional-questions.html