This is an example of less is more. It is so simple, I was hesitant in posting the pattern. Back when the dinosaurs roamed the planet and I was writing a fly tying column for Fly Fishing magazine, one of my friends, Jon Hazen, suggested I write up one of his patterns because it worked so well for him. I looked at the pattern and I looked at him. "Really?" I asked. "Really" he replied. Being the doubtful type I am, I couldn't believe something so simple would catch fish. Well, it does. In fact, when I once partook of demonstration fly tying at the Oregon FFF Fly Tying Expo, two guys showed up who sought me out to tell me how grateful they were that I included the pattern in the column. They claimed it was their "secret fly" and worked fantastically at their favorite flyfishing lake. The only change they made to the pattern was to use a small red bead for the head. Jon's Generic The pattern is intentionally tied fat and scruffy. I've tried tying it in a slimmed down version and no dice, it didn't work. The tail is short, black hackle feather fibers. The body is coarse dubbing. No rib. The head MUST be red or it will not work. Jon first designed it to fish for bass but it works equally well for trout. Go figure.