Kamloops B.C. Lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by NW_flyfisher, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Blood Knot

Blood Knot Old to the board

How do you guys get across the boarder?

2. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

By car, using the border crossings; much less of a problem than sneaking across on foot. :) If you're talking about where to cross the border, I usually cross at the Sumas border crossing for the Thompson/Nicola region. The Sumas crossing is usually (but not always) less crowded and quicker than the other crossings. For the Kootenay region, I use Eastport in northern Idaho.

Rex

3. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Came across at Nighthawk this spring. Both times they asked WHY I was crossing at Nighthawk. Also I got stopped LEAVING the US at Nighthawk.

Something is going on. Never had a problem crossing there before.

4. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

I crossed at Nighthawk on my way back from fishing in May, I think the Agent was bored but I did get the same question; why are you crossing at Nighthawk. I said I like the area and solitude.

5. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

While fishing in Kamloops I tweaked my knee while loading my pram.
    So I stopped and got some Tylenol with Caffeine and Codeine. It worked great so I went back and got another bottle of 100 tablets to bring home. While crossing the border at Sumas I noticed the sign that said to declare everything purchased. Well, the agent asked me the question and I responded with what I had bought along with the 2 bottles of Tylenol.
    He looked at me and said, " You are only allowed 50 tablets". They were buried in my luggage in the back of the pram covered under all my gear. "Oh CRAP! Well in the end after a short delay of typing in the computer, he said I could go, but to remember the next time I come up to check the regs.:oops::eek:

Jeff Dodd and Buzzy like this.
  6. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I almost always cross at Aldergrove, it's easier to get to and usually not that busy. Straight shot up the guide meridian all the way to hwy 1.

7. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Wow, you are very lucky! Years ago, I dated a guy who lived in Hawaii. He flew to BC to visit family and upon his return to HI, he had a small, used bottle of 50 Extra Strength Tylenol in his toiletry kit. Well, a US Customs Agent saw it in his toiletry kit but never said a word to him. Instead of telling him that he couldn't bring it back to the US, the Agent reported him to the DEA as the Extra Strength Tylenol contained codeine. For 2 weeks, DEA Narcs tailed him 24:7 in Hawaii. They then went to local law enforcement to coordinate a 'bust'. My boy friend was often accused of being an officer or federal agent himself because he was so clean-cut in appearance and behavior - didn't drink, smoke or do drugs. Had he realized that the Tylenol had codeine, he would never have taken it as he was a full-time helicopter pilot and subject to drug testing. As a pilot in a small town, he was also on good terms with the local LEO's and was sometimes called to assist them.

Anyway, the DEA planned to 'take him down' at work, despite the local officer begging them to simply have him swing by the station or do it at home. But the DEA wanted to play it by the book and charged ahead with a full-on raid, arresting him at work - all over a small opened bottle of Extra Strength Tylenol (with codeine). My BF was shocked and really sweating it as he could have lost his pilot's license over something like this. Still perplexed about being arrested for Tylenol, he asked them if they were accusing him of running a Tylenol drug ring, LOL. The DEA admitted that their trailing him turned up nothing other than that he led a very boring routine life of work, gym, then home and in bed early. The agents went to his house and found the Tylenol still inside his toiletry kit. When my BF's lawyer arrived and threatened to expose their waste of tax payer's money over a small bottle of Tylenol and sue them if he lost his pilot's license, they quickly dropped the whole thing.

Maybe the laws have changed if they let you back in with the Tylenol, but after what my BF went through, I am super careful when I cross the border.

Mark Yoshida likes this.
  8. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

WOW!!!! to what you wrote Freestone.

Freestone likes this.
  9. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

I thinks I was lucky also. I believe it was because I was honest and told them out right what I bought. I did sweat for a while and thought about it all the way home.
    Funny thing was, while in Canada I was watching their TV show of people getting caught at the border for drugs and other illegal things and they use made it worse by not declaring.

Freestone likes this.
  10. liveblues

liveblues Member

only way to go is get NEXUS card..you are then trusted traveler... short lines NEXUS also puts you in airport precheck line ..no brainer..

11. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    When I lived in the PNW and particularly the San Juans, I didn't fly fish, only fished the Sound, and spent all my BC time on the island. I've never been in the B.C. lakes region and would sure love to explore it with my wife now that we have our full retirement coming up next year. I would not know where to start, where to go. I appreciate this thread, have bookmarked it, and hope I can figure out a good trip. Sounds like the Spring is the time?

Chris Johnson likes this.
  12. Chris Johnson

13. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Chris, thank you, I've been studying up some, had some help from others too, and am so pumped to come up next spring and tour some lakes and the whole region.

Chris Johnson likes this.
  14. Chris Johnson

What island did you live on? I have Family on Orcas

15. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Lopez, southern tip near Iceberg Point. I worked at Roche Harbor Resort for a couple of years too.

natron and Chris Johnson like this.