Kamloops B.C. Lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by NW_flyfisher, Jun 11, 2016.

1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Planning for the trip this Spring. What is the best time to go? I was hoping to get a couple of days with Brian Chan, but he's only available the first week in May and that seems early? Trying to cram this, Cascade Lakes, and a Michigan trip into some Spring fishing, oh the stress of retirement :).

2. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

John - I fish the Thompson/Nicola area and went up May 20th for 11 days. The cabin we rent is in the Highland Valley and is close to 5,000 feet in elevation. We had a few days where we could shed a jacket, briefly. We got snowed on, hailed on and had lots of rain and wind. It was, for the most part, pretty cold. But then, we were way the heck n gone up there, eh?

The year before we went up the second week in June and completely missed the major midge and mayfly hatches. It got to 90 degrees the first day on one of our sleeper lakes.

Hit or miss. Good Luck!
    Patrick

3. pond monkey

pond monkey Active Member

Spring weather can vary greatly up there....the last two years have very early but it may a month later this year..."ice out" can vary 4 to 5 weeks ( year over year) for any given lake....my suggestion would be to time the trip (to your lake) based on actual "ice out"....in other words don't decide months in advance, if you can wait.....In most cases I think it is best for water temps to start hitting 55 degrees on the surface for the bigger chironomids to begin hatching.....that takes at least three weeks following ice out.... usually closer to four for that to happen......Fishing can be hot right after ice out for a few days then turnover happens and fishing slows down then gradual warming......Have fun...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Chris Johnson, Nooksack Mac and Buzzy like this.
  4. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

LC, the weather up there is such a crap shoot that none of us can really tell you what time is best. You need to somehow get in touch with a person or shop in the area that can give you first hand information on conditions as they develop. I have been up there when the sedge hatch was spectacular and gone back at a similar time only to encounter turnover. It's a long expensive drive to make for nothing.

Don't cram too much into early retirement-that is too much like multi-tasking. :D

Buzzy likes this.
  5. jwg

jwg Active Member

I went to Tunkwa Lake in mid June once.
    This lake is at about 4000 feet
    Cold and rainy and I was glad I rented a cabin with a fire place rather than tenting. The rest of the family was warm and happy.
    There were abundant large chironomid shucks on the surface and a brief early afternoon Calibaetis hatch.
    I fished hard all week, never got a single fish on chironomid. One day I happened to have a calibaetis hatch come off around me where I was anchored up in 8 feet of water, and finally caught a fish . :D
    Kept it for dinner, it was stuffed with shrimp.
    The bait and trolling guys were not catching either.
    Those BC trout are hard to catch when they are on those shrimp.
    Did I mention it was cold and rainy in mid June at 4000 feet?
    Jay

6. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Jay - maybe you should have hopped over the bank to the lake right below it and tried Leighton! I mean, it's about 50 feet lower in elevation.

7. jwg

jwg Active Member

I did catch a fish in Leighton too! Trolling something on a sinking line, using my canoe.

On Tunkwa I had a resort boat that was part of the cabin rental package, so mostly used that.

You are right, it was lower elevation at Leighton !

8. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Like everyone said its a crap shoot with the weather. Last year I got lucky and only had one day of rain and one day of wind out of 9 days of fishing from May 4-14.
    Being retired allows one to be flexible and pick your time. This year I was concerned about the weather so I reserved 3 different weeks in May for 9 days each. I will guess which week to fish and cancel the others based on the weather reports a couple days before the first week. I hope I don't jinx it this year. :)
    Good luck

Buzzy likes this.
  9. easywater

easywater Member

There are a number of variables that affect the prime time for Kamloops lakes.
    Ice-off is a big indicator, then current weather and the amount of sunshine.

Last year, I hit Roche Lake on April 28 to May 1 and had a hell of trip.
    60+ fish with one day 35+ rainbows.

I returned again on June 2 to 5 and had horrible fishing.
    There was a huge algae bloom that killing chironomid fishing the whole weekend. The bloom doesn't usually happen until much later into the summer.

If I were planning it now, I would shoot for 3rd week of May.
    Last year, Roche iced-off around April 10th but it was a very mild winter.

Once the ice is off, there is a reasonable productive time when the fish eat a ton but I haven't had much success at that time (I only like chironomid fishing in lakes). For Roche, this lasts less than 2 weeks then the lake turns over. Terrible fishing during this time and it lasts about 10 days.

There are usually ice-off posts on the major sites here in BC.
    FlyBC.ca caters to fly fishers and is a good bet for info and timing.

There is a fellow on there named Tom Lam that puts on chironomid courses every spring. http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=57161

Whoops, see you are in Cali so it's not a quick run up for the course.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Chris Johnson and Mark Yoshida like this.
  10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Just booked May 10 with Brian Chan. Had a lot of help on here over the years, but this thread and the PMs have been tops. Can't wait to get up there! Thanks all, probably will have more questions prior to departure.

Mark Yoshida likes this.
  11. krazy

krazy New Member

12. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Thanks, will watch it.

13. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

If you're lucky enough to get Brian, you'll be in good hands. You're no stranger to weather having fished the lakes out of Bend. Don't forget the Thompson right out of Kamloops, heard there's some good trout fishing around there.

14. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Actually we're going to return back around the 12th, sit around for a few days, then head up to Sunriver to fish their ice out. I've only done it twice before and it was spectacular, so we'll see.