Keeping Steelhead on the Wenatchee

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by DanielOcean, Oct 13, 2009.

1. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

That's not true, Jim. This year they specifically state that hatchery fish must be kept from the upper Columbia tribs and that you must stop fishing once the 4 fish limit is retained.

2. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

Are there any step by step illustrations on how to do all this? I fear that I may still make a mistake on the river.

3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Since you never harvest fish, the biggest mistake you are likely to make is forgetting to record it on your catch record card immediately. Make sure you have it, a pen/marker and know the river# you are fishing. Don't worry that much about the bonking, bleeding and cleaning. Just do the best you can and it will be good enough; you'll get better with each fish. If in doubt, ask a nearby fellow angler to help, though the gear guys might chuckle a bit.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I agree with freestone, first things first. Know the river number (and that the stretch is open for fishing and harvest). Record your catch, must have a pen that will write (I've seen guys cited for not having a pen, not sure if those citations stuck or not, but I've seen them written by enforcement officers). Other anglers will show you. I hacked the hell out of my first hatchery coho taken and a very nice older gentleman came over, talked me through the second one and his info to me has been passed to anyone I have seen who might want to know. I'm no expert, but it seems to work. Good luck.

a link to how to video showing another variation:

Go back to that photo and see the bend in the cartilaginous gill material, I make my cut at that location, much like the red line provided in that great photo. You will know that you got it right because teh blood flow will be immediate. When it subsides I insert the tip of my knive into the exit portal of the fish (we all know what the exit portal is, right?) Slide the blade forward toward the center of the underside between the pectoral fins. Open, scrap, pull and cut out all the internal stuff. Make note to use a thumb, blunt blade edge or even a handy small flattened rock to press into the gaps to each side of the spine. There will be a dark red-brown material here that is the kidney (I think), one per side, kidneys can harbor a lot of junk, get that scraped out well, rinsed and then you are set. Before picking up that rod to fish again, did you remember to record that fish on your catch record card? As I understand it you are breaking the rules if you fail to record the fish and continue to fish or leave the water without recording it.

5. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

I just went and grabbed three pens and stuck them into my new vest as well as my catch card.

6. Sageman

Sageman Member

That's what I meant.... Thanks for pointing out my anatomy gaff, I should know better.

7. Sageman

Sageman Member

These are good points. You DO need a WORKING ink pen on you while you fish. My buddy had a run in many years ago on the Sky because his pen was not working and he harvested a fish. He was a teenager at the time and walked up to the game warden and asked to borrow a pen and it didn't go well for him. That particular GW had a reputation though for being a bit of an unnecessary asshole.

Knowing the river number is important as well. I made this mistake on the Wenatchee yesterday. They used to have all of the river codes on the license, but don't anymore. I don't fish the Wenatchee much and got my first hatchery fish yesterday and realized I didn't know the river code. Just texted my buddy to look it up, so no biggie.

8. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Ohhh Andy !!! Classic !!!

9. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Bob's tip of the day---
    always keep a pen inside your waders. The one in the vest will only work when fish aren't biting...but when you wade deep, fish in the rain, and fish in cold temps they quit working fast.
    Then you kill a fish, pen won't let you punch it, and you're stuck.
    Actually, I'm thinking about getting one of those Space Pens for fishing...thanks for reminding me!

10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Here is the one I keep in my wallet along with my lic. and record card. It's so tiny you won't even know it's there - until you need it. http://www.spacepen.com/bluestowawaypenwithclip.aspx

It's barely longer than a credit card and smalller around than a straw. At $10, it's also way cheaper than the other models.

Daniel, if you are going to keep your paperwork in your vest, put it in a baggie. It's supposed to be waterproof, but trust me, you'll wish you had if you don't and it gets wet. And if you're steelheading, you will get wet.

11. RogueRiverBrat

RogueRiverBrat New Member

Instead of "grouchy old man" you name should be dumbf**k retarded person. Good thing you aren't fishing every day on these streams, or you would have a HECK OF ALOT OF $300 fines to deal with D***f***

12. Ed Call

I've got one in each of my waders' zippered pockets. I've got one in each of my sling bags, hip and back packs. I love getting more of them as gifts (hint) and have them in my truck, car, jackets, work desk...nothing in moderation for me. I've written in just about every type of storm and temperature and will go on record swearing by them. When I retired my crew got me a bunch of them because I only used those pens (in subdued black of course) and those that were in my retirement ceremony got one as a gift from me. Yeah, I like those pens for my fishing needs and they make a nifty emergency device too...but let's not go there again.

13. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Dude way out of line! And clueless as well. OMJ is often reminding people to check the regs. In this case, in a state he doesn't live in, on a river he is not fishing, regarding an emergency regulations posted a few weeks ago he was incorrect. Oh and regarding rules....check the forum rules....

14. Ed Call

Cheezeandrice RRB, OMJ has over 13,000 posts and on occasion he may lay a lead egg. You've got 34 and are jumping his shit? Why not grow the hell up and merely post that for the particular fishery, which is not in MT where OMJ is currently living, the current regs are retain all hatchery fish up to four and stop fishing. I guess you'd rather just emerge as another knee jerk shit jumper.

(sorry all, not normally my style, but give me a freaking break)

15. Sageman

Sageman Member

Just a troll trying to get a rise.... and not the kind most of us try to get.