Ketchum Release

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Twilightman, Sep 18, 2002.

1. mtp1032

mtp1032 New Member

I use a hemostat with a cylindrical slide for the leader. You hook the leader in the cylinder and slide down to the hook. Unfortunately, my problem is my eyesight. I [usually] have to get up close and personal with the poor fish in order to find and grip the bend of the hook - and this means [gently] handling the fish.

Sigh!

Michael

Remember, Son. Catch, Gloat, then Release.

2. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Fishing with barbless seems to eliminate the need for an extra tool to shove in the fish's face. I don't really care about damage to my fly. I'd bet that fishing with the proper weight rod & leader, and knowing how to play and land a fish with the intent to release will do more for the fish. I'd rather have fingers in my mouth than a plastic stick. Just my opinion. The again, I don't fish #20. Or anything less than 6, actually.

3. Chinook Electric

Chinook Electric New Member

Just to muddy the waters a little more, I use a release for trout that is made locally here in Spokane. Runje release. It is simple and inexpensive. It is a wire with a loop. Clips on your jacket with a simple clip. Has a float built in for when you drop it.

All you do when the fish is close is hook your leader with the loop (1-2 seconds)grab the leader below the realease with your left hand with a downward motion, lift the release with your right hand, as the loop of the release touches the hook the fish falls off the hook. The whole process lasts about 3-4 seconds, if the fish is somewhat small, I lift him out of the water for a good look NEVER TOUCHING HIM. The release is then clipped back on to the coat. Works very good with chironomids.

4. troutman101

troutman101 Member

It is funny how some folks follow marketing trends and buy the latest and greatest once all the mags have written good reviews on them and then they see TV shows using the same products. Next thing you know, we will all be wearing nothing but Simms wading clothes, Sage flyrod and reel and line and matching case, Ex Officio clothing, Ketchem Releasers, Umpqua flies and Geneticially modified hatchery trout.

Welcome to the world of sheep.

I'll stick to using my damn fingers to release a hook. You can argue as much as you want about harming fish but I don't really care.

This is a stupid topic.

5. Steelie L

Steelie L Member

Take a chill pill, dude. If it's "a stupid topic," just ignore it. You can name-call all you want, but the fact of the matter is that a Ketchum Release minimizes handling of the fish and is -- unless you've got tiny fingers -- capable of handling tiny flies with far greater dexterity than the fingers of any grown man I know.

6. troutman101

troutman101 Member

Oh no, I am not ignoring something that I can spray my opinion all over. I should take a chill pill though. My muscles are sore from all the damn hiking this weekend.

Would you suggest old fashion morphine or the latest and greatest Vioxx?

7. Steelie L

Steelie L Member

Doing one's part to protect a natural resource is not the same as falling for the latest marketing scheme, no matter how you want to paint it. Your sucker-born-every-minute banter smells of sheep more than anything I've read on this thread, as cynicism is one of life's easier forms of conformity.

8. Twilightman

Twilightman New Member

Good post steelie......a quote from Josh McDowell. "If you always do what you've always done: You'll always be what you've always been."

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

I'm with you. I always handle my fish if it is a small one. And as they get to a bigger size I use my forcips I think it is eaiser on the fish if you cradle the fish other than have it hanging down from your line. Most people always want to get a picture if the fish is big enough.

If you don't want to handle the fish just join PETA.

Isn't it funny how a post can start from a question and end up like this one is.

Jim :BIGSMILE :BIGSMILE :BIGSMILE

10. Chinook Electric

Chinook Electric New Member

Jim

You sound macho with the fish. I've followed behind folks that need to handle the fish in lakes. There are dead fish on the bottom. While I know a few fish die that I hook, it is a small percentage. Maybe a lot of us follow the newest fads with gear. May be you should with fish handling?

11. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    Cant we all just get along :LOVEIT . Im sorry but I couldnt avoid posting on this one. I have some hemostats that I rarely use. Most of my CR is done using my hands. I want to make sure the fish is ok by holding the underside of them and letting them swim off on their own. I have watched them after letting them go and they seem to do just fine. As far as the slime and protection it offers I have read both sides of the stories and do not feel conclusive evidence that touching the fish will be detrimental to its survival. I have actually caught the same fish in the Spokane river three different times within a few weeks. He is still doing fine :THUMBSUP . I feel that "to each his own". I do like my new "marketing trend" gear but I also like my old gear that is used in conjunction with my new stuff. Anyways great thread and keep fishing not fighting :pROFESSOR . LOL

~Patrick

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

After hiking into the Elwha this past weekend, I am looking at fishing with as little gear as possible. Next time, leave the net home, wet my hand, hold fish in the wet hand, turn 'em upside down, take the fly out with the other hand, up end fish and let 'em go.

Simplicity, ain't it wonderful? :THUMBSUP