Keys Guides

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jordan Simpson, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

I'm headed down to Sugarloaf Key for tje firdt time in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has had much success in the DIY area of things, and also if anyone has any recommendations on guides. The going rate seems to be reasonable when split with a second angler, so I was just curious as to whether any of you fine folks have fished with anyone specific down there. We are also looking at doing an Everglades guided day maybe as well, but with so many people being 'Captains', we are just wondering if any were better than others or if anyone on here has had any memorable days with certain guides.

Cheers

J

2. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

There's an old guide named Tim that works out of Sugarloaf. I can't remember his last name but I'll search my old emails and find his info. He seemed to know his way around well. Put us on two permit even though it was early in the season. For DYI you can wade off of Ohio Key, near Bahia Honda. Or rent a kayak on the gulf side of Big Pine and fish the mangroves. Kayaking in the mangroves is good from the shack near Robbie's Marina on Islamorada too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

4. COtoWA

COtoWA This work thing keeps getting in the way

Bit early for tarpon and 2nd the comment above for Bahia Honda DIY, 2 guides I would look at in the Marathon area are Chris Morrison or Albert Ponzila

5. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Thanks for your replies, and sorry for being such a ghost lately- the fly shop I work at has been busy all the while I'm planning this trip. I may have found a couple of guides, and my fishing partner who is down there is out with one today so we may re-book him anyways.
    I've got a couple new toys to play with down there so hopefully I can put them through the paces. Thanks again,
    Jordan