KFR... best seasonal beer?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Panhandle, Nov 13, 2007.

1. xafisher

xafisher JBrown

I tried a Full Moon the other night(Blue Moon's seasonal), it's alright, but there are so many more good seasonal brews. Haven't tried Celebration Ale yet, I think it'll me my next purchase.

2. JWKitsap

JWKitsap Member

FYI....Barleywines will start showing up on the store shelves around the first of the year and will be in full swing by February 1.

Cant wait to try the Alaskan Barleywine this year.....first time offered in bottles......gooonna be delicious!!

and yes....Celebration Ale is the shizz....had my first pint of the season Friday night..

Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread or not, but the annual Winter Beer Fest presented by the Washington Brewer's Guild will be at Hale's Palladium this weekend (located in the brewery). Friday and Saturday....not sure of the times...check the washingtonbeer.com website to find out.....included is a vintage winter beer tasting.....Im going to try and get to that one....

3. Dick Ross

Dick Ross Member

Just found Laughing Dog's Cold nose in six packs. If you live in North Idaho or Spokane you can find them at Yoke's. I know that they also are in Seattle but don't know where. You should really give them a try!

4. Fishful Thinking

Fishful Thinking Member

So, taking the sage advise of a fellow NWFF'er, I tried the Double Bastard this past weekend. Now that's some seriously good beer! Perhaps a new favorite. Thanks, guys!

5. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Ahh... Sea Dog Pumpkin Ale.

Pretty sure you can't get it in the PNW, and you definitely can't get it here.

But, if you ever find yourself in Bangor, Maine during the Fall... You've gotta try it.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    drinkable, but far from being a prime example of a pumpkin ale.

and for those who like drinking a good ale more than talking about them on the internet, i'll be at ellersick brewing on saturday evening around 6:30 with some fishing buddies. let's enjoy ale and lie about fish :beer1:

7. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Anyone had SAm Adams Millennium? That'll put you on your ear. THey still have the record?

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    the utopia? stuff's waaaaaay expensive, i've seen prices go to $100/bottle. if you want high gravity like that, go with dogfish head. they make several beers that are 15%+, and they run much much much cheaper. In fact, I think they are a hell of a lot tastier too.

Try these beers from em:
    120min IPA (over 20% abv)
    World Wide Stout (over 20% abv)
    Raison d'Extra
    Fort

9. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Those big beers are nice once in a great while and in small quantities but they aren't a beer to make an evening out of. Bigger isn't always better. Even a couple, three Jolly's can make it an early night too. A good dopplebock in the 6-7% range is just about the ideal Winter warmer.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    oh i agree. they're more of a novelty for me.

11. Sloan Craven

I was a never a big fan of dogfish ale. They aren't bad but theres no inspiration behind them. You can't taste the lineage in the beer or what the brewer was trying to go for. Just trying to throw favor at you. Kind of like when someone makes a decent chili but then goes overboard with the spiciness and smoke flavor.

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    i admire them for their creativity. they're going places no others have gone before. i kind of think of them as more of a belgian style brewery in that they don't really have rules, they just do their own thing. they do have some really good, less extreme beers. i love their chicory stout and 90min IPA

13. Sloan Craven

Its definitely not bad beer. I like when brewerys get creative. Ive been down on the scene lately. Its just seems that there are more microbreweries that are trying to be creative than trying to perfect a beer. Creativity is replacing technique. It gets harder and harder to find a great TRUE basic style beer with no bells or whistles. I'm due for a trip back to the UK.
    If you like belgian beers you got to try Ommengang. They brew in a traditional Belgian process as opposed to just trying to mimic flavors. Make sure you get it fresh though. Sometimes the beer I have gotten on the West Coast lost its edge.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    i've had many an ommegang. but i'm honestly not big on the belgian styles. and i kind of disagree about the finding basic beer styles done well thing. just about all of the breweries in the seattle area make some great beers that fit into the traditional style guidelines. with the exception that many of them (not all) have at least one american style IPA to suit the hop heads. But I've found plenty of Porters, Stouts, Scotch ale, scottish ales, ESBs, and many others of my favorites that aren't extreme in any way, just plain good.

15. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Can anyone give a review of Elysian's Bifrost winter beer and where I might find a bomber in the Spokane area? I'm a big fan of their standards and their summer Jasmine IPA.

:beer1: