Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

KIller Day on SF Snoqualmie

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Brookie_Hunter 
#1 ·
A little bit of overcast really helped the fishing today. Tiny tan caddis were fairly abundant late morning and the fish were eating. Never caught so many larger fish that high up.

Vertebrate Fish Fisherman Recreational fishing Brown trout
Hand Fisherman Fish Finger Seafood
Water Salmon-like fish Fisherman Fish Oncorhynchus
Insect Plant Arthropod Leaf Spider
Water Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Organism Fluid
Water Fish Salmon-like fish Tail Recreational fishing
Watch Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Fish Water
Water Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Organism Fish

I didn't notice him at all as I was reaching for my rod but that little bastard was getting ready to bite me.
Wood Bedrock Water Grass Personal protective equipment

See less See more
#7 ·
Niiiice Dave! You're inspiring me to get out tomorrow...
Did you fish an EC?
Thanks Derald. You bet. But a graphite one, a 7ft, 3wt EC Granger XG.

#8 ·
A little bit of overcast really helped the fishing today. Tiny tan caddis were fairly abundant late morning and the fish were eating. Never caught so many larger fish that high up.

View attachment 31899 View attachment 31900 View attachment 31901 View attachment 31903 View attachment 31904 View attachment 31905 View attachment 31906 View attachment 31907

I didn't notice him at all as I was reaching for my rod but that little bastard was getting ready to bite me.
View attachment 31902

Yeah, but you wouldn't die from that bite.

#11 ·
True OMJ but I've never seen a snake on a SF before a couple days ago and I've encountered one each of the last two times out.

#10 ·
No doubt in my mind it's working. Hey when we going fishing? I'm open all next week. Shoot me a PM!

#12 ·
What has changed on the SF regs?

Can someone refresh my memory? I thought in years past that it was catch and keep for trout 8 inches or over.

I see now that it is catch and keep for trout 10 inches and over. Wish they would just make it a catch and release for all fish, fly fishing only stream.

This is the first year in over 10 years fishing the SF that I have caught trout over 8 inches.

#13 ·
Most who fly fish and don't eat fish, catch and release all their fish. So sizes don't mean much to those who do.

I was on the N/F one time and I cast into a hat sized hole. I caught a 3" fish, A cutthroat I believe it was. It's back was the blackest that I had ever seen on a fish of the trout family.

#15 ·
I don't think the regs have changed for the SF. It has always been catch & keep during the summer months and C&R the rest of the year. There are too many campgrounds up there with families who want to keep fish for the state to change that.

As for garter snakes on the Snoqualmie forks, they are everywhere. Many garter snakes are semi-aquatic and you will see them swimming in the river frequently. Much of their prey is aquatic vertebrates and invertebrates. If you don't see them often, it is a testament to their camoflage markings and ability to still.

D

#17 ·
On the subject of fish health in the forks... I did see a 15+ inch fish last night casually swim 10 ft from me, along with two other 12+ inchers, with one of these probably being bigger but I could only clearly see the chrome belly. I was stunned. I've caught thousands of little guys and a few dozen 10-12" up there, but these three fish all feeding together were the 3 biggest I've ever seen on the forks ... And they were all in the same pool.

That being said, I saw some kids bonk a few 6-8 inch fish up by thinkham. Regs are nice but following them is the issue. On a fishery like the forks I think "getting off the beaten path" is quite important

#18 ·
Last year was the first year in a long time that I did not catch a +12 inch fish on the SF. It was an off year for me. A friend who frequents the same section of the river slayed them and was into large fish every time out. Go figure. His theory last year was big dries with legs.

I have only been out once to the SF so far and landed the largest fish I have every caught or so it seemed on the 2wt :) fish was in the 16 inch class.

Stew

#19 ·

View attachment 31899 View attachment 31900 View attachment 31901 View attachment 31903 View attachment 31904 View attachment 31905 View attachment 31906 View attachment 31907

View attachment 31902

Are those westslope cutthroat abundant up there?

#20 ·
My luck is continuing...caught two even bigger ones this morning.

Attachments

#22 ·
Trying to keep you on your toes there Golfman. :D

Reactions: GOTY
#23 ·
Trying to keep you on your toes there Golfman. :D
Its working!

But in a weird way I'd prefer to not know. Something about finding and exploring shit on my own up there is half the fun (if not more). In 50 years I'll be Old Man 2.0 on here talking about the good old days up on the forks

Just curious tho, have you been nymphing a bit for some of those hogs? Each time I go up there I tell myself I should nymph some of the pools more often (I have success with prince's, GRHE's, zug bugs, etc) but man...throwing dries out there on the new 2wt is just way too much fun to pass up. Each trip that I don't run into a larger forks fish I get that feeling that I shoulda nymphed more.

#24 ·
I usually avoid nymphing like the plague but I've been using a small, none weighted dropper (#18/20) with a lot of success this Summer, here and when I was in Yellowstone earlier in the month. When nothing is flying around I guess you got to do something to change things up. So in the morning this has been particularly working great. Then when I see things start to flutter around late morning (e.g. small tan/pale caddis last couple of times out) I change to that. Later in the afternoon, slightly larger stimulators have been working.

Also the key to success today in getting both those bigger guys was fishing the very edge of the tail out first and then dragging the fish sitting there out of the pool before it alarmed the big guys farther up the small pool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.