kinky question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tricky, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Tricky

Tricky Member

I'm pretty new to salt, and I wonder if anybody else is having problems with this- I've got a TFO Ticrx 6wt (which I like A LOT) and I'm using a Rio Outbound clear intermediate "slimeline". The line loads the rod beautifully, and I'm sure would shoot like hell if I could only keep the thin yellow running line from tangling up into a softball-sized squirrel's nest of tangulation. Before every session I hook the line around something and stretch the hell out of about 100' of it, pulling steady for a few minutes, but as soon as it hits the water in the Sound it re-kinks, and I end up with a huge tangle at the stripping guide. This SUCKS!
    Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions? Has anyone used the Rio versi-tip or the Cortland 444 change-a-tip in cold saltwater? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Does the outbound suck, or am I just a doofus? Any advice welcome.

2. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

stretch it out...

3. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Yeah you've got to streeeeetch that line out. I use the same line and have for a couple years now. The first thing I do when I start fishing is stretch the line.

4. Tricky

Tricky Member

So how much stretching, and how? What I've been doing is hitching the leader around something solid, pulling out 100' feet or so, and reefing on it. That's not working. How do you all stretch it out?

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

I would send it in and either have the company replace it or get a refund.
    No line should have that much memory....if so, its junk. Sometimes you will get a bad line from a company. :ray1:

6. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Pull out 3 feet or so of line, hold it against the cork of your rod with the hand you reel with, with your other hand, stretch it, then take a cast and fish it. Repeat this like 20 or so times, gradually feeding line out, and stretching the entire running line as you go. It's no rush, you don't need to stretch the whole line at once.

I wouldn't send it back, the outbound lines are just like that. Once you learn to stretch it properly you will be fine. Don't be a pansy with it either, you can pull pretty darn hard on your line.

7. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I find that in colder weather Outbound requires more stretching than in warm weather. In the summer I just stretch it first thing but in the cold I have to stretch it several times during the day. Anyone else notice this?

8. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

I have a Monic WF6F clear line that performs in a similar manner. I treat it an the same way Ibn does his RIO. However, I usually wait until late spring to start fishing it to cut down on the coiling.

9. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I've been using the Scientific Anglers Streamer Express lines with Intermedate head and running line since it came out. One good stretching usually and a couple of less vigorous followups usually does it for me. I've also used the Rio, although not as regularly. On a trip to the QCs it performed very well on coho in the salt.
    A stripping basket will help somewhat. Either the Orvis, Hip Shooter or home-fashioned Rubbermaid dish pan ($5.00 or so) will do the job.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

10. herl

herl Member

#1) if you are not using a stripping basket- get one and use it. It will take a little getting used to, but will make a world of difference.

#2) I like the running line on airflo's 40+ line a lot better than the outbound. No line is perfect - you will always have tangles from time to time, but some lines are better than others.

Good luck

11. Tricky

Tricky Member

Thanks for the advice- I am using a stripping basket, that does'nt seem to help too much though. I guess I'll give it some more good stretchin' before I plunk down $ on another line. (And by the way, I'm not a pansy! I'mnotI'mnotI'mnot!! Mommmm...he said I was a pansy...)

12. HARDER

HARDER New Member

Tricky, I use the Rio as well and have to stretch the heck out of it. I stretch it the same way as IBN does, three feet at at time. I still throw spagetti coils from time to time, but sometimes this is BECAUSE of the stripping basket. When we cast we raise our rods a lot higher than when we strip the line in. After stripping in the line and raising the rod for the false casting, sometimes you trickrope all the coils together from the bottome of the pile. Try leaving 5 or 6 feet of slack line from your reel to the basket and then pile on the stripped line. When your raise up for your casting, the line from underneath won't wrap up the rest of your line in the basket. Doing this and stretching the line can really smooth out the bird's nests. Hope that helps/makes sense!

13. herl

herl Member

Good point Harder.

Also, maybe pay more attention when you are putting your coils in the basket as you are stripping. Coils that stick up are ones that can cause tangles on the next cast.

14. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Tricky, are you using a stripping basket? A basket with the cones on the bottom to help separate out the coils will give you more mileage without tangles. I typically stretch it out once on the beach, much as you are doing, holding it taught for a couple of minutes and then I'm good to go.

I do find that as the day progresses, if I am not casting the entire line in the basket on the RIO, or any other line, the natural action of casting will progressively put twists in the line that accumulate until the line starts tangling. Keeping only the amount of line in your basket that you need for casting helps eliminate this, and at least on every third or fourth cast be sure to cast out all of the line in the basket tight through the top rod guide; this usually takes care of the twists that lead to tangling arising from false casting.

Be sure that on your retrieve, your first strip should be off to the side, out of the basket on the rod side; otherwise as you start your next cast, as you extend your casting arm you will be pulling line from the bottom of the pile of coils, almost guaranteeing a tangling problem.

Hope some of this helps. Line tangling is a perennial problem that only increases as you become a better caster and stack more line in the basket. It becomes a real limiting factor if you start using a 2-handed beach rod and start piling up 130-150 ft of running line in the basket.

15. Anil

Anil Active Member

Suggestion 1: Make sure the stripping basket you are using has dividers or cones to manage the line. If your basket does not have these, buy or make one that does.

Suggestion 2: I think the last two responses have been hinting at this, but equally important to stretching your line is basic line management. One of the biggest mistakes I see people making at the beach is stripping too much line off in the first place. Stretch and fish only the amount of line that you can easily and regularly cast. Leaving excess line in your basket leads to line twist and can quickly lead to tangles. On an even simpler level, the more line you have out, the more line you have to tangle.
    Beach fishing is often about covering water, distance can be very important. Even more important however, is consistent and comfortable distance. If your best cast is 80’ but you struggle to achieve that distance, you can probably reach 70’ easily. Rather than pulling off 80’ of fly line tangling every 5th cast and straining to reach that maximum distance, try casting as far as you can with a maximum of two back-casts. Make sure that you cast almost all of your available line each time. You will expend much less effort, you will tangle far less, your fly will spend more time in the water and you will catch more fish.
    If you see that school of fish moving farther than you are casting (you will), you can strip off some line and go for it. Just remember to reign in the distance and effort when you don’t have to.
    Anil