Kirkland Signature Single Malts

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trapper, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Just bought some Kirkland 18yr for I think $39 + the taxes (came out to ~$50 I think?).

Pretty good I'd say. Probably not as nice as a proper 18 yr from one of the big boys. But then again, I don't usually drop 18yr kind of money. So my experience is limited to some "special occasion" purchases. Overall, a nice value.

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Stay away from their beer!!!!!!! Yuck!

SaltyCutt likes this.
  3. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

As an aside, I've not been able to forgive Costco for their part in the "privatization" of liquor sales here in Washington. That fiasco took my beloved Laphroaig from $50-something at the state store to almost $100 at our local Fred Meyer ($79.99 before the new taxes).

I've not bought a drop of distilled spirits from Costco in Washington and probably will not. When I go to Portland to visit family I see that my Laphroaig is available for under $50 at the state run store. As someone that grew up in Oregon, just the idea that Oregon is now a source for cheap liquor makes my head spin.

DD

Ramblin Rick likes this.
  4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

God Bless Oregon (and I'm delighted that the border is fairly close)!

5. Trapper

Trapper Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    This from the Seattle Times -
    Washington shoppers boost Idaho liquor sales

Question: Does the lower sticker price of Kirkland brand liquors offset the increase in tax?

Trapper

6. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

If you're looking for deals I think Trader Joes has the best price on liquor.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  7. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

I have a question for you seasoned scotch drinkers.

Last weekend I tasted some Laphroaig for the first time. Definitely a big difference from the sweeter tasting varieties I've had up till then. It was like drinking a glass of smoke, really. I wasn't terribly put off by the taste, but I did wonder what the draw is for people. Do you just get used to that smoky taste and other flavors start to get noticed that can't be found in other types of scotch?

8. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

It is the combination and the complexity of flavors in the style that do it for me. The peat is definitely right upfront for the Islay's, not hiding out in the background as a subtle accent. But once you get over the initial "shock" of the new flavor, it is the combination of all the flavors that are so appealing.

Best analogy I can come up with at the moment is barbecue, or smoked meats and fish. It is the combination of smoke and other flavors that make them interesting. The whole becomes greater than the sum of the parts.

DD

9. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Single malt scotch was always that mysterious thing my Dad seemed to hold in high regard. He had fancy Macallan in wooden boxes, etc. One day I bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yo (remarkably cheap at the naval base specialty liquor store). I have to admit, it was totally wasted on me. after trying it once I handed the rest of the bottle over to my Dad the next time I saw him. Maybe scotch will appeal to me in another 10 years?

10. Trapper

Trapper Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I was fishing for Silvers and big bows at an out of the way bush lodge in Alaska once. I ended up trading a Texan some Jack Daniels for some single malt. He asked me "Do ya' really like Scotch?" I replied, "No one simply likes Scotch. You either love Scotch or you think it tastes like lighter fluid." He thought it tasted like lighter fluid.

Trapper

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Never checked Trader Joes, will have to do so. I've been happy with the selection and prices at the Total Wines & More Bellevue store. I like 33,000 square feet of drinking pleasure choices.
    I for one am glad the state is out of the state run liquor store biz.
    SF

12. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I got my first bottle of Lagavulin 16 year a few weeks ago. I'm in looooooooove.

13. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Try the smokey / peaty stuff with a drop of water.. I mean literally a drop of water and let it open up a bit before you drink it. Actually this will work for all scotch, although may not be needed for all scotch or scotch drinkers. I myself prefer a milder scotch, but can appreciate most scotch.

Recently, I had Yamasaki (sp?), a Japanese scotch I really liked.. Of course it was 18 years old. Another one I've tried recently is Singleton, but my go to scotches for now have been ones like Speyburn, Aberlour 12, MacCallen 12 and a blend called Sheepdip....

So many scotches, so little time and they go great with cigars and fishing!

14. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

If you like the peaty stuff, try McCarthy's. It comes out of Oregon and I find it holds it own against Lagavulin and Laphroig.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

15. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

Flybill,

Great point that many overlook. Good cool liquid water in small doses is the key to opening up the flavors in whisky and making it so interesting and enjoyable. (BTW, ice is not the same as "good cool liquid water", at least not im my opinion.)

Sounds like I like a bit more water than you, but most of what I have in the cabinet is barrel strength stuff that needs more of a splash than a drop to come around.

DD