Klick report

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Rob Allen, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Floated Ice House to Pitt on Friday, started about 10am. Nymphed the runs in between swinging water. Got to use my new Rainshadow 7 wt. Switch Rod that I just finished putting together. Had a few tugs that were either short strikes or smolt, I think. Did not feel any other love. But had a great day on the river. The cooler weather from last week helped a lot. Water clarity was great, at more than 4 ft. Was with a new fishing buddy and his new Scadden Challenger XXX set up with both frames. Very nice boat for the Klick. There were very few other fishers on the river, I was surprised. But, it was Friday, I am sure the population spiked over the weekend.

Matthew, you did extremely well to go 2 for 3. Congrats. Pics???

2. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Pics were taken on an old school disposable camera. When my friend gets them developed I will certainly share the love :)

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Matthew...badass brother!

Craig, you are a real ray of warm sunshine with that pessimistic outlook for the returns. Sadly, I understand why.

4. docstash

docstash Active Member

Pessimistic, that was not pessimistic. There are over 100% more fish over Lower Granite this year than the 10 year average for this date and getting real close to the Clearwater and the Grande Ronde right now. This year, with the higher snow pack than normal, the Tribs should stay cool enough that the fish do not stack up in the Columbia waiting for the water to cool off. There are 32 wild Steelhead over Prosser Dam in the Yakima already and they started counting the 1st of July and that was on the 8th of August. This year they are in a hurry to get up the rivers for some reason.

Craig

5. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    I wanted to get on the Klickitat as soon as the cool down 8/30-31, but couldn't get there until Friday. Fished Friday morning, Friday night, Saturday so long my wife thought I must of drowned, then again on Sunday. No hits at all. Caught a few trout. Swung mostly. Maybe I should have beaded more. Some guy across the river from me at Indian House fishing a drift rig with yarn and smelly jelly hooked one behind a boulder but lost it. Seeing that was enough to get me to cast a couple more hours. The Klickitat pisses me off!

Made some really nice casts though. I should just clip the hook off and practice casting. That hook is just a hazard to me and some trout.

Jason (WDFW) checked me twice over those three days. He hadn't seen much action.

Monday I painted the deck to make up for getting my wife worried about me on Saturday.

6. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Brought a wild buck to hand yesterday morning (9/7), after 10 to 15 minutes of swinging. It's been a tough year for me...I'm blaming the fish for figuring out too many angles. Had a good number of takes but very few hookups, gotta be the angles. Had a pig flop at a sparsely tied wet fly 2 tuesdays ago, was using 12# flourocarbon...stole my fly on the take, no more flouroC for me. This is old news to me, the FC stuff, mentioned it because I think it's important, don't use it if you're swinging the Klickitat.

Paul, Jason is missing most of the boaters, he's on land in a car...the boaters are in and out, he misses most of them...actually misses all boaters who take out after 5pm, or is it 4pm?..maybe 3pm?

River's holding fish and vis remains good...though not 4' anymore (as noted by Flyrodney above). It's not a banner year but there are fish for those willing to work for them, cover water and use your water reading skills. Swingers catch fish it they keep swinging and cover water...the more the better.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Not all fluoros are created equally, Rolf! Maybe I'll bring you a spool off the GOOD stuff next time I'm down :)

8. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Evan...lots of FC water under the bridge for me. I'm willing to consider the GOOD stuff but will demand real tests. We can do it, probably take about 30 minutes...but don't demand that I learn any new knots.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

10. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Nice package, this shows 10# line but I won't use anything less than 12# on this river! Maybe 15 or 20 FC if it sinks faster...but I don't think it will because of the larger diameter. We could do a direct test between Maxima clear or ultragreen 12# and your Seaguar. Call it a challenge and we'll see what the facts are.

Thanks for suggesting it Evan!

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Shit, with this stuff, you can swing with 20# and not be too bulky

12. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Please show me. I do want to learn.

13. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Flouros alright, knots are a little more critical though. If comparing brand A to brand B go by diameter not poundage. Brand M is notorious for running oversized to whats on the label.

Klick, congrats on the fishing.. I'm envious.

14. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

AGreed, I have been using the Seaguar flouro in the 15lb for summers. IT is the same diam. as maxima 12lb. at .015". I have hooked and landed multiple fish in clear water conditions and even got one big native hung up on a rock and it did not break me off. I am very impressed with it so far. Ahh hell, wait isn't this suppose to be a klick report?

15. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat's fishing as well or better than should be expected with respect to steelhead and salmon passage over Bonneville. Vis is good and think it will remain so.

This FC stuff should be debated on a previous thread. I'll try to find it and throw something out there.