Klick report

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Rob Allen, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

FC thread I was thinking about is on speypages. It's a decent discussion with lots of bitching, etc.

2. mmarcus

mmarcus steelhead chaser

I switched away from flouro for steelhead years ago because it always seemed like it broke off more fish than I should. It always seemed to me that Maxima always had a bit more stretch to it that would help absorb the pulls. When swinging, I have always erred on the heavier side with tippet. Hasn't seemed to be too much of a problem, especially on the Klick with it having some color to it.

3. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    I did better in July.

A few years ago, I had this half baked idea to try a FC leader tied to my Maxima to try to get more hook ups because the water was so low and clear late in the fall. But that setup broke too many times right at the knot. Tried surgeon's and double uniknots, but lost too many fish. I think hinging at the knot weakens the line after many casts because of the difference in flexibility of the two materials.

4. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

Ive had problems swingin flouro since it doesn't stretch and.absorb shock like mono. On a 3 foot piece of.tippet you can put a lot of stress on it with a steelhead bucking around. If you insist on swinging flouro I would jump to 15lb. Having said that I have 3' of 12lb seagar flouro on my sink tip I was using yesterday. But its looped onto 1.5' of 15lb mono (versus my normal 4" butt section of 25lb) which I'm hoping will add a little cushion. So far no issues. My $.02

5. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

Klick sucks. Fish pinks.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

This seems like the right place to mention that I've never broken off a steelhead on 8# Maxima, excepting the Thompson River BC. Steelhead up to 26 pounds, all on 8# Maxima. Did break off the only steelhead I ever hooked on 17# flourocarbon, which I stopped using immediately after that incident.

Sg

7. loganmike

loganmike Member

Why risk such a precious fish with FC? Use maxima, that shit don't break!

Me

8. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    A good friend rolled two fish on skaters recently. Water clarity is good and the run seems to be like it always is. Then again I have only touched one there this year and that was in July. In regards to flouro, who cares, both work and as long as you keep an eye on your leader for damage. This is one of those rivers you sure as hell don't need flouro though.

9. fly dds

fly dds Tooth and Tail

My friend and I floated it with Travis Wallace (western waters guide service) yesterday. We brought to natives to hand and lost 2. About 2-3 ft of vis. Gorgeous river and well worth it even though it was a little slow. FYI: Travis Wallace is the man on the Klick. Give him a shout and he will put you on the fish.
    His contact: westernwaters@hotmail.com

Kristian

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Like I said, I've found Seaguar to be the only exception to this. You definitely pay the extra for it, but it is great stuff.

11. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Hooking 4 fish in a day on the Klick is NOT "a little slow". That is a GREAT day.

12. ribka

ribka Active Member

x2 on the seaguar fc

13. PT

PT Physhicist

Buy it at Outdoor Emporium if you can. Much cheaper.

I think popping fish off has more to do with the fisherman than it does the line. I used to be in Salmo's boat. Always used Maxima and rarely ever went stronger than 8#. but, 8# UG is equivalent to 12# anything else. Now in the summer I tend to use 10# Seaguar or even 8# and have never had a problem with it. Winter I stick with UG.

One of the things I like is that it doesn't break down as quick as mono when not in use. My spools can last a couple years and still be fresh. And yes, I do understand the environmental aspect of FC.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I've used the 8# and 12# extensively, and never had a fish break off that didn't run me in to a log jam or saw me off on a rock. I've been really amazed at how much pressure I can put on the 8# without it breaking. I have a buddy who uses the 20# for nymphing because of it's small diameter, and never had an issue with it being too bulky. Nice to have options.

Granted, for swinging, I don't think it's necessary to use FC. I just use it because it's what I have. Ultragreen is as good or better than anything for swinging.

15. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

I'll grab some next time I'm down there stocking up on flies to swap!