KLICKITAT PRESSURE

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Slipstream, May 23, 2014.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

At the rate that steelhead anglers are being made, you all should simply get used to what you consider overcrowding. In 10 years, anywhere in this state, crowding is going to be worse, or the fishing will be closed. This trend will continue until you are in the ground. Just enjoy it for what it is and if you want to minimize your impact, do so however you see fit.

I fish the Vedder a lot in BC and it's crowded but everyone expects that and anglers are 10X nicer than in WA. Often in WA, when I am hiking way the hell out in no mans land with nobody in sight, I come across a guy who is majorly upset to see me. Ironic isn't it?

2. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

The mandatory retention on the Methow worked very well to increase angler retention of hatchery steelhead, which was the whole point. It worked well enough that NOAA allows us to have a season instead of shutting it down as they'd threatened to do if we didn't improve retention.

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Eliminate guides.

Go Sox,
    cds

4. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

in idaho there is avery special place closed to guiding. if there were guides comping trips for writers, it would be on the cover of every magazine, and loved to death. washington could use at least one special place. too bad the oly p. couldnt be a special place again, at least not till they leave some other winter rivers open. a nice start would be major restrictions on 2 rivers. one summer, one winter. let people see what could happen, maybe set the stage for more. guides wouldnt be a problem if you eliminated fishing from a boat. any guide worth a dam can instead teach someone how to actually fish, istead of just chasing the boober.

5. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

the problem is that the local WDFW office needs DATA. It will not get involved on quality of fishing issues. if it could be statistically proven that fishing from a boat was better for ESA listed stocks then they might do something about it but they are not going to get involved in an issue that protects one persons fishing over another...

the only fish native to the Klickitat are steelhead and spring chinook. the spring chinook are in really bad shape and spiraling downward. why? because of all the hatchery springers and fall chinook they plant..
    unfortunately it's difficult to tell wild springer redds from other chinook redds otherwise i'd be recommend a trample the redds outing.

kill everything that you catch which is not wild. kill all coho and fall chinook.

6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

no guide worth hiring would attempt to catch and release as many fish as possible for his clients.. such a guide lacks understanding and doesn't belong on a wild fish resource.

this river is simply going to be destroyed by the tribes for the sake of harvest..

oops this was supposed to be an edit not a reply

Bob Triggs likes this.
  7. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    I've done that. Played to exhaustion, and been able to perform at a spawning opportunity.

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    In my experience on the Olympic Peninsula- virtually every single guide coming out here to guide for wild winter steelhead does indeed "attempt to catch and release as many fish as possible for his clients." And yes, they do lack a certain kind of "understanding."

Mike T, Klickrolf and sopflyfisher like this.
  9. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Paul, try swimming a couple hundred miles first, then let me know if isn't a game changer! Tom

constructeur likes this.
  10. seriously there just steelhead we can make more

jake-e-boy likes this.
  11. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy sans caféine

all guides must prove they live in the unincorporated town of klickitat for 10 months out of the year. /thread

12. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Harvest is a tradition on the Klickitat. I personally harvest every legally harvestable fish I catch, most of them go to my neighbors. Very few non-fly fishermen release harvestable fish so they can catch more or continue fishing. The truth is most locals and many non-locals come here specifically to "harvest fish"...because they want or need them for food.

Seems fly fishermen are more interested in catching them over and over again, regardless of potential impact over time. One of the real problems for guys who like to fish but don't eat fish is what to do with a fish if you're required to kill it. Here's a shot at solving that problem.

If we can get some serious support for this rule change I'll make space available to freeze hatchery fish (gutted & gilled) and give them to people who need or want them. Show me your "marked" catch record card for the fish and I'll put in my freezer and give the fish to someone who wants or needs it, and I'll require marking their card too. So, catch one get two marked cards for one fish. WDFW may have a problem with falsifying catch record cards but I'd think we could come up with a legal solution to that, no problem keeping records! Truth is, in Klickitat, people who don't fish might buy a license to fish if they knew they could get a fish or two a week...and they'd never fish. Those that do fish would fish less frequently if they could just go pick one up.

13. Freestone

Rolf, there is no need for double punching as there is a legal process for this. See page 12 of the Regs:

You may not: "Possess another person’s Game Fish unlessit is accompanied by a statement showing the name, address, license number, date, county, and area where it was taken, and the signature of the angler who harvested it."

Klickrolf likes this.
  14. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I totally agree with the mandatory retention and limit reduction.

But, I also really like the idea of having some sort of classified waters system similar to B.C. Maybe you can limit the number of days for fishing, have a permit raffle, or just even have additional fees associated with fishing it. Since the Klickitat is largely a destination fishery, the people who didn't receive a permit, won't pay the fee, or are looking to fish on a closed day would likely just go someplace else. A classified waters system would likely not reduce angler opportunity, but would reroute a portion of it away from a system and fish stock that can't hold up to massive pressure. There are always substitutes for summer run fishing for hatchery fish, including the Deschutes, which is very close.

15. Freestone

So since it apparently is out-of-area destination anglers putting too much pressure on the fish, and doing most of the whining about crowds, there is one simple solution that will kill two birds with one stone:

Limit fishing on the Klickitat to residents of Klickitat county only.

This could be expanded state-wide so that an angler could only fish for steelhead in their county of residence. This would relieve pressure on the fish, and take care of crowding everywhere except a handful of counties. In those counties, some means of controlling overcrowding and pressure on the fish could be adopted, such as the Classified water system, a lottery, high fees, etc.

sopflyfisher likes this.