KLICKITAT PRESSURE

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Slipstream, May 23, 2014.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

certainly would limit the pressure on the hoh, since nobody from forks or port angeles could fish it.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

you could probably have a legal form drafted with spaces for people to sign and date it and a description of their catch.. you could even make a copy for the local WDFW office.

3. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

With all due respect I think this is not about pressure on the fish, rather it is about crowding on the river.

I would not support something that limits angler opportunity, for the sake of less crowded water, and I suspect nether will the WDFW as it would be counter to one component of their mission.

As for locals only or classified waters, well...no. I guess I could see some merits if the waters were restricted to Washingtonians, but Klickitat County? And if its WA only, you won't see a dent since BC classified waters allow non-locals to fish with guides on "local only" days (I think...its been a while since I read the regs).

Crowds can suck, but don't always. The rule proposal is kind of like putting $5000 worth of wheels and tires on a junker car. It will cost a lot, may look good from a limited perspective, but ultimately does not improve anything at all. The Steelhead in the Klick are not in decline from angling pressure. Nor are the Kings. There could be an argument for mismanagement.

But, so that nobody worries I am part of the problem...when I fish the Klickitat in the fall I fully intend to kill every legal fish I catch. In a perfect world that will include three Kings. Its my civic duty to remove them and feed my horde of children with them.

If that means I take a boat ride down to the take out a little early...I'm OK with that. More time for drinking :)

jake-e-boy likes this.
  4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    C&R mortality and impacts are a red herring. It's a made up problem.

Crowding mand angler behavior may be an ssue.

Eliminate guides, things will improve for the fishermen.

Go Sox,
    cds

sopflyfisher likes this.
  5. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    I'm willing to try. I've made costly attempts before.

WT likes this.
  6. _WW_

_WW_ Geriatric Skagit Swinger

That would be one surefire way to get us Skagit County folks driving to Canada...and if WDFW doesn't get their permits, or only a few of them, I could see a riot developing.

With that rule in place, and no other changes, two years from now the Skagit county residents with the most robust wild steelhead run in all of Puget Sound, and possibly one of the best runs in the state, will be unable to fish anywhere...in the state...for steelhead.

I don't like your idea...gotta be another way. :)

7. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

1. I would fully support something that limits angler opportunity for the sake of less crowded waters... Why?? because not every river needs to be a hatchery slaughter house guide factory as the Klickitat has become... Some places should be managed for a quality fishing experience not a quantity harvest/ opportunity and the Klickitat is one of them....

2 Crowds ALWAYS suck...

Randall Clark and sopflyfisher like this.
  8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Say's you.

9. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

but overcrowding and selfish people is a real problem and detracts from the resource and the experience and YES that is important

sopflyfisher likes this.
  10. David Dalan

Like this selfish people who want to tweak the regulations to make it easier for them to get to fish the river all by their lonesome?

Yeah, some people!

:D

Irafly, FinLuver and Drifter like this.
  11. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

can you imagine the gem the klick could be with deschutes style management? the biggest draw in the state for angler dollars? why doesnt washington want a resource like that?

sopflyfisher likes this.
  12. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

No like selfish people who feel it's their job to change the rules of the game just to fulfill their own gratification. Such people should not be allowed to fish. For example, if you are floating down the river fishing as you float and you come to a 300 yard long run with a bankie fishing the top end it is NOT ok for you to float past him and chuck your gear out 50 yards down the run.. If you want to fish the run pull over and wait for the bankie to fish it. then get back in your boat and fish it.. Only a selfish person would cut a bankie off like that and such a person should be banned from the river.

you are not too important to wait your turn..

13. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

because WDFW will not do anything unless you threaten to sue them.

14. David Dalan

I was being flip. But I agree with what you are saying, more or less. For the most part, dropping in on a bank bound angler is some pretty weak shit. But it happens and I think it is a weak person who lets it wreck their day.

Why let someone else harsh your mellow?

Look if you want to chase trying to reduce crowds, more power to you. But I still say limiting angler access is not a good plan.

underachiever likes this.
  15. David Dalan

Every time I hit the D, I have to bring my own rock. And it has a VERY healthy boat hatch, including sleds. So I'm not getting why this is any better?