SBS Krystal krill

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by SilverFly, Jan 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

What SF said.

Btw... Guy, it occurs to me that perhaps some time we need to arrange for you to make a little trip up this way and get some first hand r&d on the sound.

2. SeattleFarq

SeattleFarq Active Member

Here's my take. Gamakatsu SC15 #6, gray + shrimp + claret via dubbing loop. I took one strand of pearl KF and cut it in half three times to make 8 equal length pieces. I folded four of the pieces into Vs around the thread and positioned them at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock. Maiden voyage tomorrow morning.

0112182321a_HDR-1.jpg

3. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

I'm liking that idea Nick. Probably should plan that before you head to Westport this summer. Let's do it!

Love it! Looks super-crustaceany (if that's a real word). Gotta get me some of that claret dubbing!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Just a quick note. It occurred to me that I probably used Spirit River Brite Blend dubbing for the original KF krill versions. Brite Blend is what I've always used for the red krill (although I thin out the bulky dubbing and use more mylar). Not that it likely matters. Ice Dub is probably a better choice for this pattern, but I do like the leggy look the thin mylar fibers in BB create. Both Nick and SeattleFarq got that right with their respective choices of dubbing materials. Nick's use of Lite Brite mixed with Ice Dub seems like the perfect combination to balance overall body profile, dial in color, and get that leggy look.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. Nick Clayton

Absolutely! I'm super open. You get a window of time let's make this happen for sure. Hell it's nothing fancy, but the Hansville Inn (aka my little 19' travel trailer) is always always available if you were able to make it a couple days or a long weekend or whatever, and makes a pretty good jumping off point for fishing a variety of waters, north sound/south sound/hood canal.

SilverFly likes this.
  6. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Sounds good. Geez, casting something lighter than a 10wt will be weird.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  7. Nick Clayton

Hah Ya I hear ya. I threw a four weight the other night with a standard line on it... Holy cow that felt weird.

We definitely need to make this happen

SilverFly likes this.
  8. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Sounds like a good reason to do a gear inventory and some shopping. The lightest rod I own right now is a 6/7. Also sure I'll need a line or two. I'm pretty flexible schedule wise working a compressed shift. My days (nights really) off are Sun - Tues and every other Sat. I also have plenty of vacation time too. So I can adjust accordingly if you think there's a particularly good weather/tide window. I already have the trip approved by the 'ol "Ball-n-Chain" ;) (at least barring any schedule conflicts with family events).

Lemme know when and I'll be there.

Nick Clayton likes this.
  9. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Try a split thread loop, evenly space the individual strands of flash, tighten it up and wrap while drawing the fibers back

10. Nick Clayton

Awesome! No need to buy new gear unless you want to, I've definitely got plenty of lines and all that. Though I do understand the fun of shopping for new gear lol.

I'm on the road home from Idaho now so when I get home I'll take a look at everything and try to formulate a plan.

SilverFly likes this.
  11. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Idaho? That's the wrong way from saltwater! ;)

Played around with this some more. Started by mixing some Copper Pearl Lite Brite into the same Ice Dub blend to get more of a leggy look.

20180114_141105.jpg

Then tied up a sparse one more in keeping with the original versions that used Brite Blend instead of Ice Dub.

20180114_135244.jpg

12. chris stiemert

chris stiemert Active Member

Had to give it a try, sweet pattern thanks @SilverFly

92EC3ED3-1BC3-4765-BD62-5009FAC71832.jpeg

13. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Thanks. That Ice Dub really glows in UV. Wish I could see it how the fish do. Really like where this is going!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 11:12 AM
  14. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Digging up that old red krill pic I finally knew what I needed try with these #10 "AH" Hawaiian bait hooks I've had laying around. Used the same Ice Dub / Copper Lite Brite mix with 2 strands of KF for antennae.

20180115_104109.jpg

Bought these at a local market market last summer when I was having trouble hooking reef fish. They worked great (with bait) but not having a tying kit I didn't have any way to give them a legit fly test.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 11:11 AM
    FinLuver and SquatchinSince86 like this.
  15. holtad

holtad Active Member

I didn't have the right colors of ice dub so I used some orange and black predator wrap instead. It was the closest color match I had sitting around. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk