Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by SilverFly, Jan 8, 2018.
I like the grizzly look with the predator wrap.
A few more getting ready to test out in the Sound in a couple weeks. Besides the color variants, I tried integrating snippets of Big Fly Fiber (orange) and Super Hair straightened by stretching slightly (pink, tan, and red).
Like them all, but really I'm really liking that middle yellowish butterscotch colored one.
Thanks. I was going for something more "seaweedy" looking. It's brown Simi Seal mixed with Shrimp "Pink" Ice Dub (looks orangish to me). Maybe more of an amphipod color?
I'm tying another right now with burnt mono eyes. I'll see how it looks with the "butterscotch" .
They make petite Estaz in a similar color called Butter Rum.
Excellent for bunny sculpin bellies. You might want a few in your box for your trip up north....
Thanks. Who doesn't like buttered rum?
Here's the mono eye version. I think this will work better than bead chain since I like the idea of this pattern as something that suspends well. I used 30# mono, the brown Simi/Shrimp pink ID mix, and tan Super Hair (straightened) for the "hackle".
Another mono eyed version.
All of these flies would have done extremely well today but this one I reeeaaallly like!
Thanks Nick! I deviated a little more with this one. I tied in the mono eyes extending back about a quarter inch from the start of the bend. Then started by dubbing a short section, tying in a few hackle fibers (orange Fishair here) and repeated that sequence a few times forward to the eye. I also tied the Fishair fibers backward more trying for something resembling a Spey hackle effect. An insult to Spey flies but I'd swing it.
And yet another tweak. Tied the previous version inverted with "kinky" legs. I bent the fibers by stretching gently around a toothbrush handle.
Edit: Found that a bodkin works better for kinking the legs.
So I was looking at a spool of 4# mono I had out for making eyes and wondered how it would work for leg material. It seems to take color well using Sharpie pens, and kinks nicely with a pair of pliers or a gently heated bodkin. Only problem is now this is a different pattern than I started with .
Thanks. Pretty easy to do by trapping the mono against a piece of paper with the pen and pulling. One interesting effect I really like is an interrupted pattern caused when the mono slips depending on tension as seen in the pic. I really hope the color will hold up when fished. Guess we'll find out next week .
Another in red.