lab breeder

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by cj6530, Sep 3, 2008.

1. cj6530

cj6530 Member

Can anyone recommend a quality hunting lab breeder in WA. I am in Seattle but will travel anywhere in a one day drive.

2. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

what kind of dog do you want? (temperment wise?)

3. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Kingsland Labs in Puyallup produces very good Labs if you like the chocolate flavor.
    Teresa Meredith is a very responsible breeder; her dogs are very sound in both conformation and temperament. She has several females from which to choose a litter, giving you a variety of dispositions. My dog Eddie is very laid back and easy to live with, but he's as birdy as they come in the field.

http://kingslandlabradors.com/

5. seekm

seekm chris

I've got two pups from Tiger Mountain and I couldn't be happier. In the field there isn't any quit in them and at home both are great with our 2 yr old boy and 6 mo. old daughter.

6. cj6530

cj6530 Member

thanks for your help so far. I am looking for a family dog which is a good flusher and duck dog. I have a great flushing and duck lab right now but he is getting a little on the older side. I am new to WA so I do not have any experience with the local breeders. Do the pointing labs also make great flushers and duck dogs? To be honest I have no interest in training a pointing dog as I really enjoy flushing labs. Also, I am not looking for a "hot" trials dog either.

7. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Sara Smith in Pomeroy is where we picked up Murphy, our yellow...smart dog

8. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Bayview kennels outside Mt Vernon is where we have got 2 of our dogs. Loved them both. I hate the long skinny and hopped up field trial dogs myself.

9. Itchy Dog

Home Page:
    As I understand it, pointing Labs just happen to have picked up that trait somewhere along the way, but they are, as Labs tend to be (unless bred for the wrong reasons), natural flushers and waterfowl retrievers. Some breeders breed for the pointing trait. My dog is a half generation removed from an actual pointing lab, but he got the gene. I talked to the breeder about it, and his aunt points like an upland dog. I haven't worked with him to further the pointing, but he locks up when he catches the scent of something. Then he goes after it. You're not new to Labs, so saying this is pretty much rhetorical: You want a dog to hunt for you, and not for himself. Get a dog with a temperament that is calm so he's tuned in to you, and a good family pet. If he's birdy, he'll show that at 6-7 weeks (but birdy doesn't mean "hot"). If the breeder is producing hunting dogs, they should have live pigeons on hand so you can test the pups. Ask if they do before you go see them. PM me if you want more info on the breeder I mentioned earlier.

10. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Itchy, is your dogs grandfather Rascal?

If I get a lab for my next dog, I'm going to get puppy out of Jazztime Last Chance v Pekisko who is out of that same Jazztime line as Rascal. It seems like dogs from Jazztime breedings always produce balanced good natured dogs with lots of hunt.

In terms of chocolate labs, it would be hard to find a kennel with better dogs than Kingsland. It's great to see that they put all the health clearance information on their site.

11. andrew

andrew Active Member

Itchy,

Libby does the same...except for the pulled up leg. Pretty easy to tell when she is birdy...her tail goes from wagging to straight up twirling...then her tail will be either straight or continue to twirl...head nod...3-5 seconds later pounce.

The few times I've thought about commanding her to sit and so that I have time to either get ready or move in clower, however, I figure why ruin a good chance at bird and possibly the dogs mind!

12. Itchy Dog

Home Page:
    Kaari,

I don't see Rascal in the pedigree. My dog's maternal grandfather was a dog out of Kingsland by the name of Chocolate Chip. On his sire's side the grandfather was FC Nan-Dool Elwood Blues. The only "big name" in his lineage that I recognize is Pachanga Magnum Force, who factors in on both sides of the family. That's not surprising as he was a highly sought stud dog given his titles and accomplishments.

I wish I'd had my current dog years ago when I did more hunting. I don't get him out near as much as he'd like. Luckily he's pretty content just hanging out and chasing a training bumper in the back yard, although when the gun comes out he's itchin' to go.

13. Itchy Dog

Home Page:
    Andrew,
    At least she signals when she's on a bird. When you see that, you just gotta get there fast.
    Run to keep up with her- she'll get you in the best shape of your life! :D

14. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

I'm looking for and English Lab, might anyone have any suggestions? I had one ready to go out of Bellingham, but the litter didn't produce any yellow females...

15. Itchy Dog

Home Page:
    Since you're looking for an English Lab, maybe you can clear up some confusion. I've heard the term "English" before, but I've heard conflicting definitions. One definition states that English dogs are field bred, whereas American Labs are show bred. The other definition states that English dogs are for show (shorter, blockier/stockier) whereas American dogs are field bred (taller and lankier). I always assumed that the way to differentiate between the two is that an English dog has an accent. You might check out this site on your quest for a pup (they have a breeder listing):

http://www.pslra.org/