(lack of) South Sound SRC report.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Brian James, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Sinking lines are tough from the beach, but a must have from boats. Like Chester, I have a sensei on SRC fishing. Mel Hurd recommended full sinking lines at the first SRC class I went to, better than 10 years ago. Ironically Mel and McCloud fished this way together since like 30 years ago, but I didn't listen, cause all the guys were using intermediate lines,and hooking some fish.. Five years after my class, enjoying moderate success, I finally started using sinking lines, and now, I use sinkers 90% of the time, except a floater for poppers when I need a cheap thrill. Tuesday we hit one on the surface, and 20+ dredging the abyss.

Keep in mind that sink rates are predicated on fresh, still water, so are more buoyant in the salt. My go to is now the type 8 Outbound, seconded by the Deep 7 that Roger uses. If you're not getting barnacle nicks on your line, you're cheating yourself.

Take a look at the bottom of the tail fin on the next big cutts you catch, looking for wear, and connect the dots.

2. Greg Arcara

Greg Arcara Member

Looks like it might be a bit windy (at least up North here) but I am going to try and get out all the same.

3. aquaholic

aquaholic New Member

Interesting Jim, Ill give a look next time I land something small. Funny, how often I put those fish back wo any thought to what they might be. I guess Im always after the "Big one..."

Dizane: if you fish around tacoma gig harbor and are catching fish on the high tide im jellous of your beach knowladge.

ps. nothing on the eastern shores of the narrows this evening.

4. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    LOL, I'm lookin' for tail spots, making sure there aren't any, when I land that coho of the day that has some shoulders to it and no adipose - bonk! I enjoy seeing the tail spots and goin' "ehhh! baby chinook! awesome" before turning the hook and watching 'em swim off.

5. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

No secret knowledge, just waterfront property and a small boat which allows me access when the water is up.:)

I liked the evening tides this week because we were seeing a flood to ebb change about an hour or two from darkness. This combination usually results in good fishing for me. Activity seems to build during the evening flood, sometimes tapers off during slack, sometimes doesn't, and then usually explodes once the ebb current kicks in as light is fading.

That said, it didn't pay off for me tonight. Saw one mid/upper teens incher jump twice hauling ass for who knows where. Other than that, nothing at all. Tough to catch when they ain't there. Fish have tails.:)

6. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

From day-to-day fly fishing on Puget Sound is often everchanging due to tides and weather conditions. It helps make this fisheries challenging at times or provides surprises.

Yesterday was one of those surprise fishing days. I was trying to zero in on some good resident coho spots for a fly fishing outing with my son and grandson over the Easter Day weekend. The surprise was that I landed quite a few nice sized sea-run cutthroat at two of the good resident coho spots. The largest fish was a measured 20 1/2 in. The pattern of choice was a 3 1/2 in. sequin tube clouser minnow(olive/white). These sea-run cutthroat were many miles away from the nearest estuary and looked well past post-spawn.

Roger

7. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Freedon --
    Mel Hurd and Greg Cloud are extraordinary anglers.... Decades of knowledge!
    I figure I'm going to wear out my sinker before fall -- and that is a good thing.
    This year is shaping up to be pretty epic, I think. Lots of bait on the beaches, and the fish look in really great shape.