Lake Britton?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Teenage Entomologist, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm planning a trip to Lake Britton, CA, and doing a hike along the Pit River. Anyone had any personal experience fly fishing Britton and/or the Pit River? I heard the Smallmouth fishing in Britton is good, and also Crappie. Any recommended flies? Thanks for any help, Kaden.
  2. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Lake britton has the bridge from "Stand by me" so that's pretty sweet. One August morning I saw a bunch of trout rising for mayflies along the shore. I never wet a line there though.

However, I have done the Pit, and I'll be heading there in a week. If you don't bring a wading staff you're an idiot. There is a lot of good access to pit 3. If you are coming from Burney, I wouldn't even bother with 4 and 5 because you'll just be driving past good water with good access.

I didn't have a whole lot of success, but 110° august weather isn't ideal. You're going to want heavily weighted flies or a bunch split shot. And bring A LOT of flies. I lost 4 flies in my first two drifts when I was there.
    Teenage Entomologist likes this.