Lake Fishing book advice needed

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by generic, Nov 29, 2013.

1. generic

generic Active Member

I'm wanting to give lakes a little more effort this year, rather than just stripping a wooly bugger in the spring. I know very little about chironomid fishing, but probably enough to get started.

My question is, would this be a good book for a guy that's been fishing for 28 yrs now, or is it just primarily for beginners? I scanned some of the reviews, but was wondering if anyone here has read it.

The first two items on the yellow banner (cover at bottom), seem like they may be helpful, but the rest seems useless other than the entomology part.

Just was wondering what the "ratio" is on those topics. I did see the table of contents, but we know how that can go sometimes...

Don't want to spend $20 on a book, that I'll only read 30 out of 93 pages.

P.S. If anyone has any other books, that might focus on just the subjects: Entomology, flies, techniques - let me know.

[​IMG]
    Thanks​

2. Lostcreeker

Lostcreeker Member

King County Library has 3 copies available of this book.

Olive bugger and Jeff Dodd like this.
  3. generic

generic Active Member

I'm in Spokane, but will check ours. Never thought of that.

Thanks LC !

4. generic

generic Active Member

Well, not so much on the library option :(, but thanks again for the idea.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Books are cool and all but there is nothing you csn learn from a book that you wouldn't find just reading through posts in the stillwater section. Especially for someone with plenty of fishing experience.

generic likes this.
  6. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Google Brian Chan. You will find tons of stuff to read on chiro fishing.

generic likes this.
  7. chief

chief Active Member

I haven't read the book you reference, but Randall Kaufmann's book on Lake Fishing is pretty informative. Maybe a little dated, but might be worth a look. I know it helped me 20 years ago when I read it.

Jim Wallace and generic like this.
  8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Much of Chan's work is on the internet. Just Google Chans' chironomids to get started then you will find links to dozens of videos on both tying and fishing. You can read that stuff for hours and probably learn more by watching than by reading. Get a laptop or tablet, an easy chair and have at it!

Ive

generic likes this.
  9. generic

generic Active Member

Awesome, thanks guys.

10. Islander

Islander Steve

Maybe I'm "old school" but I kind of like books to read, hang onto and reference again later. I've spent nearly all of my fly fishing life on stillwater but found the Morris/Chan worth the price. It does have a lot of info for the person just starting out but does have good sections on stillwater structure and locating fish as well as hatches & timing and of course fly selection and tying. Another book worth a read is Tim Lockhart's 'Stillwater Strategies', it will teach you some different ideas on how to thoroughly fish lakes and find fish. Heck twenty bucks won't buy you a pizza and a beer these days. A book will last forever. My .02

Duane J and generic like this.
  11. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I've read a few books on lake fishing. The good ones give you some reference for how to make a game plan given the conditions and type of lake you are fishing. It's helpful when your starting out to have something you want to try . . .so that you don't end up just trolling wooly buggers all day. But eventually it comes down to putting in many days on your local lakes. Assuming you are in the Spokane region, you've got options. Find a few you enjoy and fish them a lot. Read books when you are looking for inspiration for what to try. Then go see what works.

In general, Chan's stuff is tailored around finding the bite and matching the hatch. Rickards is all about finding the biggest fish in the lake. Both know their craft.

Krusty likes this.
  12. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Actually...I think Denny Rickard's "Stillwater Presentation" is very good, if you ignore his continual promotion for his 'Denny Rickard's Cortland sinktip line". Lots of good tips about fishing lakes. I think he's dead-on about flyfishing stillwater being so much more than 'matching the hatch' bullshit...and how to focus on catching larger trout.

troutpocket likes this.
  13. Islander

Islander Steve

I'm a big fan of Denny's book as well and have his latest. I'm a firm believer in "presentation" over match the hatch, but his books are a bit pricier.

14. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Jim Wallace, Krusty and Rob Ast like this.
  15. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

I have this book and found it to be worthwhile. Helped me to expand my lake tactics and, I believe, catch more fish.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD