Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Lake Lines

2K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  freestoneangler 
#1 ·
I know this has been asked many times, I even searched back >1.5 years. So what 3 lines would I need ? I'm thinking full float, full/fast sink and ?. CLear tip, sink speed, what?
Hoping some lake guru can aim me in the right direction. Thanks.

#7 ·
About the same for me: Rio Deep 6[ in a 4wt] Rio Aqualux Intermediate[ 5wt.] SA GPX Floater[ 4 & 5wt.] and usually a Rio Lake Type3 [ 5wt.] I usually fish 2 rods....a 4 & 5 wt. I have two of the same reels and two spare spools. This way I can pretty much use any line on either rod.

#8 ·
I look like a bass fisherman when I go out.
3wt dry with chiro setup
5wt dry with chiro setup
5wt typ3 wet with nymph
8wt dry with popper for bass

When you fish out of a pram, there is little to no reason to go back to the truck for anything. :)

#9 ·
I fish out of a SFC and don't leave rods at home either.
3wt floater (surface chiro or callibaetis generally)
4wt floater with indicater (gets the most use)
5wt clear intermediate sink
5wt type 6 sinker

The three lines mentioned already are ones I'd start with- floater, clear intermediate and full sink. You can fish 95% of the lakes quite well with them.

You already had two of the lines identified- floating and full sink. I would strongly recommend a clear intermediate for the third. For years I didn't realize how effective they are... but they allow you to present mayfly and damsel nymphs (among others) in a more lifelike manner then any other line. It's my second most used now after the floater.

#10 ·
Depending on the time of year, I will take up to 4-5 rods on my pontoon. When fully loaded this is what I carry:

5wt Full sink type six on a 4wt rod
3wt Floater for dry fly work.
4wt Floater for chironomids
5wt Wulff 10' intermediate tip for casting to shore or shallows
5wt 10' type six tip for intermediate depths.

However many times I just take three.

Full sink
Floater
Sink tip

#11 ·
clear intermediate is what i use 90% of the time on stillwaters then a full floater and a 3sink tip for emergers I have been with washington fly fishing forum years now and this is my first post so you know I feel it was important to get my 2cents in that clear intermediate line is a must for lake fishing

#13 ·
I'm new to the lake game, doh, lots to learn, lots to learn.
O-4,
Best game you'll ever play. Fascinating what goes on underwater, 90% of it unseen. Just have fun learning it all - best advice you can get.

About lines, they're anything but rocket science. Start with two, and get your third when it makes sense...you'll know when that is. Beyond 3 it's a steep slope of diminishing returns (I have 15 years in, last 5 studying SW exclusively, yet I'm using a Type V almost 100% of the time... if that says anything...maybe not:hmmm:). Anyhow, for the two, grab a floater and a fast sink. For the sinker I'd go IV or V...past that you're going where the fish generally aren't. Surface to 15 ft should be your playground 90+ percent of the time, and that's generous...I don't go beyond 10 ft very often...consider their field of vision, not just the location of their bodies...moreover what depths they'll feed and hang out most of the time given temps, food location, cover, etc...never mind the myriad of factors, they all tend to point back to the playground...that zone from surface to 10 or 15 ft.

Oh, for the floater get whatever...if you're doing it right you won't be using it much anyway. I'd say find one that casts effectively for any skill level. Any shop around here will put you into a good one. And if/when you get around to a third, I'd go with a Type II. Couple of other thoughts: SA Mastery is an excellent choice for any sinker; Line color is about as important as fly pattern...zero if you're doing it right (clear lines aren't bad...they aren't good either...like most gear they affect how a fisherman might part with his money and not much else); Sink tips belong in rivers - nothing more than a reverse belly in stillwater; That's probably plenty for now. Lucky you, I'm gonna stop.

If you forget all that, just go with this: For any sinker get the newer style density compensated line. Trust me. Surprised no mention of it till now.

Good luck! And if you're not having fun.....you're not doing it right :clown:

#16 ·
Confused yet? Start with a floater and fish it hard for a season. The choice for your next line will be obvious by then.

BTW, I fish stillwater 98% of the time. I've got nearly all of the lines mentioned above but 80% of the fish I catch are on on a floater.

K

#17 ·
Kent you are right on. I fish lakes most of the time with a floater. Then move on to a sink tip before going down deep with a full sinking line.

Keith

Confused yet? Start with a floater and fish it hard for a season. The choice for your next line will be obvious by then.

BTW, I fish stillwater 98% of the time. I've got nearly all of the lines mentioned above but 80% of the fish I catch are on on a floater.

K

#18 ·
Cortland camo intermediate is the slowest sinking (honest 1.5"/second) intermediate out there. Killer line IMO and not over priced. (I think the Rios and SAs sink too fast.) I carry a floater for hatches and chiro/indie fishing and also a type 2 or 3 sinker (density compensated). I use the intermediate (75%) and floater (25%) and the full sinker rarely.

Also, sooner or later you'll hear: "You gotta go DEEP for the big ones." BS! Really deep fish aren't players.

#19 ·
I have adifferent opinion about full sink lines I have a type 6 rio density comp and use it quite a bit. Alot of times I will cast it into the deep 25ft or more and let it sit and then with a slow retrieve will pick up some nice bottom cruisers with it. Or use it as a chronie line straight down ,works great for that when you dont want to cast a 20foot plus leader!

#20 ·
How about Rio's Deep 7 line? I hear frequent mention of a Rio or SA Type 6 but not much of this line. Anyone have experience with it - good or otherwise? I wonder how it might cast on my med-fast Loomis Metolius 5 wt (I understand it's "designed" as a 7 wt) vs. say a 5 wt. Rio Type 6. Guess I'm looking for a faster sink option beyond my Type 3 for the deeper sections of Pass Lake and the like...

Thanks all.

#21 ·
I dont have any knowledge about the deep 7 it does say can be used by 5 to 8wt rod though. I just happy with the Rio type 6. It goes down fast and will cover most water .Some have complaints with the type 6 for memory coiling but it has never been a problem for me and I rarely if ever strecth it out. It works fine and covers Pass no problem.

#22 ·
If I were a member of Rio's marketing department I would have strongly recommended against calling it Deep 7. People (understandably) associate the line with 7 weight rods and make the mistake of passing on it. It is designed for deep lake fishing and doesn't care if your rod has a 5, 6, or 7 printed on the side. There is no 5 weight full sink that can touch it for reaching the depths.

It's a great line for what it's designed for e.g. deep water chironomid fishing and suspending floating dragons above the weeds.

I would still recommend a floater and cortland camo first, but this is a great line to have fishing lakes.

#23 ·
If I were a member of Rio's marketing department I would have strongly recommended against calling it Deep 7. People (understandably) associate the line with 7 weight rods and make the mistake of passing on it. It is designed for deep lake fishing and doesn't care if your rod has a 5, 6, or 7 printed on the side. There is no 5 weight full sink that can touch it for reaching the depths.

It's a great line for what it's designed for e.g. deep water chironomid fishing and suspending floating dragons above the weeds.

I would still recommend a floater and cortland camo first, but this is a great line to have fishing lakes.
Tom, good point. Surprising how many folks confuse sink rate types with line weights. I think some of that comes from a lot of guys who don't use sinkers regularly, especially with those faster rates. But I always like hearing the stories from guys who decide to try them and get used to them. If more people only knew how versatile (and deadly) they can be...

#24 ·
Could someone help me out by providing a quick definition of what "intermediate" means when the term is used alone? ex. "I use an intermediate fly line exclusively." I thought I understood this, but it's apparent now that I need some help.

Thanks,
Greggor

#25 ·
re: intermediate lines

Traditionally sinking lines have been marketed by their sink rate. A Type 1 would be the slowest sinking line (e.g. 1.5" per sec), Type 2 would be faster and so on. A Type 6 was typically the fastest sinking line and would be expected to get down very quickly. This nomenclature is used for full sinking lines as well as sink tips.

The term "intermediate" has now generally come to mean clear sinking lines that have a slow sink rate. When I started fly fishing a million years ago all Type 1 sinking lines were indistinguishable from a Type 6 from initial appearances. The introduction of clear lines like the Cortland Camo opened up a new, stealthier approach to sub-surface fishing.

An intermediate does not have to be clear but the trend in lake fishing is to use these slower sinking. clear lines.

The advantage an intermediate has over a faster sinking line in some situations is angle of retrieve. Say for example the fish are intercepting damsel nymphs migrating to the cattails. The nymphs don't swim directly to the surface, rather they are swimming parallel to the bottom towards shore. A slow sink allows you to cast unweighted flies and mimic the wiggle, wiggle, pause motion of the nymphs much better than a faster sinking line would allow.

Intermediates are also great for shallow water fishing in heavy chop. The line will cut down below the waves allowing a natural presentation.

Of course in deep water you would prefer using a faster sinking line. That's why ideally a lake fisherman will be able to cover floating, shallow and deep water situations with three lines.

#26 ·
Thanks Tom. Great explanation as to both the definition and usage.

I recently re-entered the world of fly fishing last year after a 25 year hiatus. To me, an intermediate line was a full sinking Type 1 or perhaps even a Type 2, while an intermediate sink tip was a Type 3.

I agree that the introduction of Camo lines has likely morphed the common meaning of an "intermediate" line as used in conversation. I appreciate your taking the time to help explain this.

Greggor

#27 ·
Sometimes I long for the good ol day's when I first started out and didn't know about or have all these options. Now my pack is full up with several reels, multiple spools, way too many fly boxes -- hell, it takes me 1/2 a day to get things sorted out for the start of the season! But I digress, sorry... all three lines you mention are good to have on hand for the eastern lakes, though I find myself using floating and TyIII for most everything. I just carry all the other permutations because my pack was looking a little empty ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.