Lake Merrill

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jim Riggins, May 13, 2010.

1. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

We're heading up to Lake Merrill, taking the pontoons, rods and month's of pent-up energy from just watching fly fishing shows on TV. Has anyone been up there lately? Is it to early for new hatches? How is the water level and things like that? The weather should be awesome! I'll post pics. after we get back.

2. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Active Member

Water is high and cold, try a black wooly bugger as deep as you can get it and watch out for the resident eagle...he is stealing fish already.

3. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

You are right, the eagle does swoop down and try to steal fish. We found ourselves spotting for eachother when ever we had a fish on. We did however manage to catch several large, meaning 18" to 25" triploids and a few cutthroats. We used green leaches with a little shine in them on sink tips, and we caught them all day long! The lake level is high and the temp was around 51 degrees. The eagle is a pain in the ass but how many people can say they have been dive bombed by a bald eagle- freikin awsome!

4. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Dive bombin eagle... man that makes me want to make the trek up that way!

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Interesting. I fished there only once about 3 years ago. The eagle tried to get my fish while I was playing it too! Awesome.

6. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

two years ago a buddy of mine lost about a 5 lb bow about 10 feet from the pontoon to that bird. Wish i had a camera.

7. Hoopa

Hoopa cantreMember

Last year I watched an osprey that had a fish in its claws trying to dodge that eagle about 400ft above the lake. The osprey gave up, dropped the fish and the eagle caught it in a full dive at about 200 feet, midair!!!

8. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Active Member

No eagle sighted but I fished Merrill a week ago Sunday and this last Saturday for a few hours in early morning, had to get to work by noon. Saw a few alder flies...took 11 fish one day and 7 the other, only 5 were under 18"......all on a green size 10 seal-dubbed bead head bugger with some crystal flash in the tail (clipped short)....takes were mostly soft except for one 23" Triploid that hit hard and fought like a little steelhead! Geez ....pretty frisky for a planted fish. Caught mostly the newly planted larger trips with a few cutts and several smaller planted browns thrown in. Weather was good both days. Only boat on water till about 10:30 .....when I was leaving everyone else was launching.

ps I heard a serious buyer for the property on west and north ends of the lake is currently negotiating with the timber company owners.

9. Jim Riggins

Jim Riggins Member

You must have been on the lake the same time we were. Ditto on the fly types and the fish taken as well. Jim

10. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

Home Page:
    Would it be worth fishing this weekend at Lake Merrill?
    And would it be worth it if I could only bank fish?

11. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Lake is high, you won't find any bank access. Get your hands on something to float on or in, lake is fishing well, other wise it will be a total waste of gas.

12. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

Home Page:
    Thanks James- any other suggestions?