Lake Roosevelt/ Kettle falls

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Mike Monsos, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

We are renting a houseboat and I started to wonder if I'm going to need a Colville Fishing license if we beach on the west (Colville tribe) side of the lake and do some casting from shore. Does any one know how the regs apply when approaching by water?
    thanks
    Mike

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    i believe the law is the same no matter how you get to it. i grew up fishing there a lot, and we boated to a lot of the beaches on that side to camp and never had any problems though. the only place we ever got checked was on rufus woods (below grand coulee)

3. Mike Monsos

So are we going to have to purchase a license from the Colville tribe besides our Washington State license? I'm still a bit confused.

4. BFK

BFK Member

I'd check with the Spokane office of the WDFW. The license/no license thing has changed over time, and they would be in position to know. If I had to guess, I'd say "yes" since you are fishing from the rez. Or you could talk to the folks who rented you the boat...for some reason, I'm under the impression the houseboat concessions are a tribal op.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    the houseboats are usually rented from keller ferry, which isn't on tribal lands. i haven't been to lake roosevelt for 4yrs, but i used to go there several times a year until then. a tribal permit was always needed on the tribal lands

6. seanengman

seanengman Trout have no politics

Yes you do need a tribal license. If your feet are on tribal land while fishing, you don't have a tribal fishing license and your skin is a lighter shade of pale you will get a ticket. Be sure and read the little f+g pamphlet they will give you because there are places where you will see lots of Indians fishing but it will be strictly off limits even if you do have the license. It goes the same with certain species of fish.

7. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

iagree
    The little green pamphlet that you get from the tribe says that you need their license anytime you are fishing Lake Roosevelt with your feet on their ground. If you fish from the boat you're OK.

JonB

8. seanengman

BTW, Kettle Falls is one heell of a long boat trip from Keller which is located on the San Poil. Kettle Falls is over by Colville and pretty much surrounded by National Forest. Where exactly do you plan to fish from bank?

9. Mike Monsos

We plan on doing some casting from the beach/sandbars that we land the houseboat on every evening. The marina we are renting the houseboat from is at Kettle falls so we will be touring from there towards Keller Ferry and I agree that's a long ways. I'm sure we won't travel that far. Here's a e-mail that I got from the Marina Manager to the same question I posted on the forum.

I just started to wonder about the fishing regulations and
    license requirements if we beach on the west side of the lake on the
    Colville tribal land. Are we going to need a Tribal license to cast from
    the beach? how about if we are in a auxiliary boat boat while the houseboat
    is beached on their land? Thanks, See you Sunday.
    Mike Monsos

Mike, you will not need a tribal permit to fish in Lake Roosevelt, no matter
    where you park. If you plan on staying over night on the tribal side you
    will need a permit. You can purchase them at McIntosh's Hardware in Kettle
    Falls or Wal-Mart in Colville. If you are coming up on highway 25 you can
    also purchase permits in Fruitland, a small town you will be going through.
    If you need more information please let me know. Permit fees are as follows
    1 day $5.00, 3 days 12.00 or 7 day permit 25.00.

In my mind I' thinking that the Collvile tribe would insist that we have tribal permits while standing on their land while the houseboat is beached on their land, but the marina has been dealing with this for years and I'm going to go with their opinion....... W'ell see what the tribal enforcement has to say. I do remember a conversation with a tribal game agant a couple of years ago and he had mentioned something about not needing a tribal license if you accessed their land by water and not a vehicle. But this is just a vague reccolection. I'll let you know what happens when I get back:confused:
    Thanks for everyone's input
    Mike

10. seanengman

I fish the Colville rez a lot and I will tell you from experience that the most patrolled areas are on Lake Roosevelt. Honestly you do need a Tribal License if you intend to fish with your feet planted on tribal land. Fish from the boat and you are safe, but if you plan to explore some of those streams that dump into the Columbia get the license.

This is quoted from the Colville Indian Reservation Non-Member Sportfishing Regulations Pamphlet (April, 2007 through March, 2008)

License Provision

All non-members on the Colville Indian Reservation MUST have in their possession a valid Colville Indian Reservation fishing permit to fish in all open waters on th Colville Indian Reservation. In addition: 1) A Colville Indian Reservation Fishing Permit shall be required when fishing from the reservation shoreline (see general definitions, page 4) of the following boundary waters: Crawfish Lake, Rufus Woods Reservoir, Lake Pateros (Wells Pool), Washburn Pond and the Okanogan River; 2) When fishing Lake Roosevelt, non-member fishermen that traverse the The Colville Indian Reservation to obtain fishing access on the west shore of Lake Roosevelt, are also required to possess a Colville Indian Reservation Fishing Permit; 3) For purposes of this fishing license provision, Grand Coulee Dam structure will not be considered as reservation shoreline; 4) For state licensing requirements on boundary waters, please contact the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife at (509) 456-4082, (509) 754-4624 or (360) 902-2464.

11. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Consider spending a night inside the bay where Hawk Creek dumps into the river, just down from Seven Bays. If you have a small drag-behind boat you can run well up into the bay and you might have some luck dragging streamers in the evening- maybe even some surface action.