Lake Sammamish Hatch

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
If you look at old fly books any small fly was called a "midge". My feelings are that chironomid (and variations of that) come from the PNW and British Columbia were chronie and indicator fishing started.

I've got some old fly books and it seems any small fly #20 and smaller was termed a midge and at the same time 4 wt fiberglass rods were categorized as "midge rods".

added on edit: One more thing, Midge rods seems to be an east coast term as that's were most seem to come from.


Active Member
The first so-called "chironomid'' imitation, and identified as such, was the late Dr. Dick Thompson's TDC, which stood for "Thompson's Delectable Chironomid". If I'm not mistaken it was first tied in the early 50s with a black chenille body, silver tinsel rib and a couple of turns of white ostrich herl for gills thus becoming the prototype for most later imitations. I suspect this set the term "chironomid" in the public (or at least the fishing public's) mind. Dick had a long career in the US Fish and Wildlife Service in the northwest before passing away only last year.


Staff member
Most of what I might say on this topic has already been effectively stated by previous posters on this thread.

However, one contribution I will make is to show the taxonomic structure of aquatic/semi-aquatic members of order Diptera (True Flies), which illustrates the numerous midge families, only one of which is the non-biting midge family Chironomidae, whose members are referred to as Chironomids.
From my experience fishing a lake in Oregon on Thursday, it could be water boatman. They were zipping around on the surface and underwater. The fish were hitting them under water and on the surface.

Dave Boyle, post: 918667, member: 4150"]In the UK the call them buzzers, a lot easier to spell and say too, I've heard several different pronunciations for cirono... charonam... charaonids... f'it buzzers. Easy :)

But let us not forget bombers, the larger form of buzzers.


I wasn't sure why they call them "buzzers" in the UK until a midge hatch came off while I was fishing Mann Lake. The bugs were hardly "midge" sized chironomids ... these bugs were the size of large mosquitoes and looked exactly like skeeters... except without that blood sucking tube thingy.

They also sounded exactly like mosquitoes... exactly. Same buzzing sound after they hatched. It was a aha! moment for me.

They call midges buzzers in the UK because the larger ones... buzz.


Active Member
They are Chironomids. I troll lake Samm and when the hatch is the adults are over every square foot of the boat. About a size 16 is the trick.


Staff member
They are Chironomids. I troll lake Samm and when the hatch is the adults are over every square foot of the boat. About a size 16 is the trick.
Hi yellowlab-

I remember running into exactly the same kind of chironomid emergence many years ago on opening weekend at Dry Falls Lake. This was back when the lake opened in late April. I was standing up casting in the canoe I had at the time, and happened to look down toward my feet, and there were literally hundreds of freshly emerged chironomids crawling around. I have no idea how the got there without my noticing them in flight, but it doesn't say much for my power of observation. ;)


Active Member
While those cutts love chasing salmon smolt a throat sampled revealed loads and loads of pupae. We typically go down 10-15' with the downrigger balls but the trick is to clip the release 100' or more behind the boat. I have caught them on the fly rod with a deep 7 Rio and baitfish pattern. I don't think anchoring and using an indicator would prove to be very successful as it tends to attract more of the local perch versus the cutts which you're probably seeking.