Lake Washington Question

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by denisr, Oct 19, 2017.

1. denisr

denisr Active Member

Has anyone fished for coastal cutthroat starting from the launch on Mercer Island under the East Channel Bridge? I fish trolling flies from a pontoon with an electric motor so my speed and the distance I can go is pretty limited. Just wondering if that area is likely to yield anything.

Denisr

2. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

I've been out a half dozen times concentrating along to SW shore and mouth of Cedar. Perch, Pike Minnow, Rainbow and Kokanee have taken streamers. Hooked up a sliver on a rubber leg bugger last fall.

No luck with cutthroat yet, but I've seen them feeding near the river mouth early in the am.

My fishing is a bit on the lazy side and never fished at first or last light which I'm sure would be more productive.

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    You should give it a go...might get lucky. I haven't fished near there since 1966, but this is a good a time as any to give it a try for cutthroat. We fished on the Bellevue side of the bridge back then. Usually in April and May, for kokanee.
    Fishing from the dock at the park near there was good (back in '66) for perch in May/June.

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

Lake Washington is a good fishery..... I live by Mouth of the Sammamish slough/east end. Many species of fish to be had. But pay attention to size limits if wanting to keep. Under-utilized fishery IMHO.

mbowers and NW_flyfisher like this.
  5. denisr

denisr Active Member

Thanks guys. I guess I'll give the east channel launch a try once this storm system passes through. When I first moved to WA in 1986 I lived on Mercer Island for a couple years and used to fish along west side bridge in a canoe and caught some nice cutthroat using pop gear and worms.

I now fish flies CR exclusively. I know people fish the south end of the Mercer Island for cutthroat. But that's out-of-range for my pontoon from Coulon Park even with the electric motor which serves me well in Sammamish. When I recently learned about the MI East Channel ramp I checked it out and saw it there's no charge to launch. Now the water's cooling I'll give it a dry and fish in that that general area once it isn't to rough for my pontoon.

Denisr

Porter likes this.
  6. John Wheeler

John Wheeler New Member

7. denisr

denisr Active Member

Shoot John. Thanks for the bad news. Some things are too good to be true. When I drove through with my wife awhile ago, it was cold and rainy and my wife was in a hurry, so I didn't get out of the car to check carefully. Oh well, guess Ill try it anyway. Still wondering if any cutthroat cruse the lake anywhere in the area.

denisr

Remco likes this.
  8. BobGom

BobGom Member

Why could you not put your toon in on the Bellevue side? That's free.

9. denisr

denisr Active Member

The pontoon is 9 ft and I've modified a lot of stuff like changing the motor mount from behind to in front of me so I'm not trolling behind my baxck, built a mount for my fishing buddy, and had some welding done to strengthen the frame, all of which has added weight.. Plus at 70 I'm not as strong or as adventuresome as I used to be, all of which means I need to launch from the bed of my pickup.
    s

10. BobGom

BobGom Member

Got it...let us know how it goes!

11. denisr

denisr Active Member

OK . I tried Lake WA today with my toon from the MI launch under the East Channel Bridge. 3 hrs. very few fish spotted on my finder. One bump; a descent fish but he was gone after about 3 seconds. If I go back, it will be with a friend who has a boat capable of getting down to the end of MI.

Thanks to all of you who helped with input. At least it was a beautiful day to be out there.

denisr

Buzzy likes this.
  12. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

It was a perfect day out there today. Ran up to kirkland - janita looking for salmon. Pretty quiet.

13. BobGom

BobGom Member

Try Beaver

14. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

I was trolling.....

15. BobGom

BobGom Member

So was I, but my suggestion was for Denisr