Lamson Liquid 3-pack For Beach Fishing Lines.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jim Wallace, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I ordered a Lamson Liquid Model #2 with 2 extra spools. 6 wt lines I already have and plan to spool up are: Airflo 40+ floating, and a clear intermediate full-sink type 1. As of yet, I'm not sure what I'm going to put on the 3rd spool. This will be my new beach fishing reel, mainly for targeting Searun Cutthroat on the Canal, Rain Shadow, and S Sound beaches.
    Any suggestions for what I should put on the 3rd spool?
    I may end up lining it with a shooting head system, for targeting Red-Tail Surf Perch here on the coast, unless/until I put together a dedicated 7 wt surf outfit.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Jim, I'd stick one of the hover lines on it, probably a shooting head. Don't be surprised if it gets used the most, imo they're perfect for our shallow water beaches.

Mark

Ed Call and Ron McNeal like this.
  3. Jim Wallace

Thanks Mark. I'll have to check out those hover lines. My type 1 clear intermediate sinks slowly, at only 1"/second.
    A shooting head "system" (including a hover head) is likely what will go on that 3rd spool.
    I might set up my Surf Perch line on an old Redington CD 7/8 with a burnt out drag... (has just enough drag to prevent spool over-run), and use it with my 8 wt.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. SaltyTippet

SaltyTippet Be the beach

My three spool set up for my favorite 6 wt rod is as follows: standard floating, clear tip intermediate (love to use a line with a floating body and clear tip as opposed to a full intermediate because I like to be able to see where my line is in choppy conditions or low light and the full intermediate can be hard to see sometimes) and then a 15' sink tip type III which comes in very handy when fishing rivers or deeper estuaries where there is a need to get deeper and also when fishing drop offs or ledges.... good luck man

Ron McNeal likes this.
  5. Jim Wallace

Thanks for your input, ST. Someone gave me a bag of misc used spey lines, and I can experiment with hacking one or two of 'em if I need a bit of a floating belly with integrated running line. I have a hacked off head from my original Rio Outbound clear intermediate (running line cracked and failed). Was thinking of pairing that with an Airflo Ridge running line for inland water beaches, and Slickshooter for the surf zone. Right now I'm fooling with Damnesia.

Before I can get back to messing with lines, I have to finish disabling my Forester's A/C . I already removed the A/C pump belt to silence the noise, and must trouble shoot the #@&*! thing, and then dig into replacing the heater fan switch, (or resistor, or relay), after trouble shooting. Heater barely functions without the fan blowing, so I'm back out to the garage.:(

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  6. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Jeez, that sure sounds like fun!

Jim Wallace likes this.
  7. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Jim, if your intermediate line sinks up too one inch per second that's perfect as that what hovers sink, most intermediates are one to two ips which can be a little too fast for many beaches, at least where I fish, have to strip faster then you (or the fish) want. They are also integrated shooting heads, Rio OB, SA, and airflow make them, I've also used the Rio lake hover on my slower 5wt which is perfect on calm days.

Mark

Jim Wallace likes this.
  8. Jim Wallace

I had some fun out there, cold dungeon environs that it were. A/C is not really needed, and is disabled and silenced for now. No fuses were blown. Heater fan had gone out in stages (one speed at a time), so I'm sure its the switch that needs replacing. More fun in store for later, involving contortions underneath the dash board and behind the glove box! At least I was sheltered from today's howling wind!

9. Jim Wallace

New reel has shipped and should arrive on Fri! I'm still undecided on which running or shooting line to try (as an upgrade from Amnesia). Something with virtually no memory and negligible coiling problems. I need to be able to juggle heads around one good running line, so that I can chose the right tool for the job at hand.
    Airflo makes an oval mono similar to Slickshooter. I might try either one. Or maybe Airflo ridge running line.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Hover or depth charge?

11. Jim Wallace

Probably depth. If my type 1 clear intermediate works similar to a hover, then I won't really need the redundancy. I'm considering a 20# test ridge line, or a heavy enough mono that I could feel it, grip it, and strip it. Those oval monos I mentioned interest me, though mainly for achieving distance and for the surf with a fast sinking head.
    Or, I could match up the clear 30' or so of head end from my old Rio Outbound clear int with a new 20# Airflo floating ridge running line, (and probably end up with a better product than my original Outbound).
    I'm kind of on the fence here contemplating what to load onto that 3rd spool.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    wanative likes this.
  12. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Floater, full intermediate and a integrated type III sinker.
    SF

Jim Wallace likes this.
  13. Jim Wallace

Thanks, SF. I've got the first two of these. I might be able to cobble together a good imitation of an "integrated type III sinker" from various old lines and a 15' type III sink tip. Might be worth the attempt, just for the fun of it! (I tried a 15' 8 wt tip on the end of a hacked clear intermediate full sink, as well as a 12' 6wt type III tip, but that beast is what it is).
    I don't need to "re-invent" this stuff, though. Which integrated type III lines do you recommend?
    (I have been looking at a few, and kind of like the Wulff Triangle Taper full sink).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  14. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Jim,
    I like the 40+ type III.
    While it is fun to experiment and make your own lines, sometimes just buying an off the shelf line ends up saving time and money.
    Other then a true shooting head system, I've come to not be much of a loop fan.
    SF

Jim Wallace likes this.
  15. Jim Wallace

Thanks, SF. I need to get out and cast my 6 wt 40+ floater some more on my current 6 wt rod. I haven't really cast or fished it much, yet. (Only a couple of times). So far, I like it! I really need more practice, though.
    I hear ya on the loops. I just took a cue from another thread here that recommended using junction tubing over the loop connection, but I used a small section of yellow heat-shrink tubing. Got a stiffer connection, now.
    Just to be clear, this is my most recent "frankenline" and it isn't really that bad: Main line is an older 6 wt Airflo clear int that was randomly hacked by my electric trolling motor propeller, and spliced back into use, with a few rough transitions. It also became a multi-tip sinker.
    This time, I looped a 7.5' type III sink-tip (bargain basket special!) to the end. Looked like an 8 or 10 wt. tip. Its now got a 33' head (to where the rear taper ends, at my permanent splice) that weighs approx 230 grains (+/- a few).
    I think it might be a good one for kayak fishing the shallower spots near the jetties.