Late June in the Cascades

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Earl Nelson, May 22, 2013.

1. Earl Nelson

Earl Nelson New Member

My brother is moving to Brazil in July, and I want to take him on one more trip in before he goes. I have been trying to scout some of the streams and lakes, but am having trouble determining areas that won't be snowed in during the last week in June. He lives in Spokane and we have fished the Salmo and several areas in western Montana. We haven't ventured into the Cascades because of the uncertainty, so I'd appreciate any suggestions. It'll be a 3-4 day trip, and we don't mind a good hike. Ideally, our route would follow a stream with huge fish, lead to a high lake or two with even bigger fish, and we wouldn't see another person while there. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    It will probably be snowed in, but you never know: Stehekin.

rwbailey05 likes this.
  3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Good luck! If someone answers your question on here regarding WHERE the HUGE FISH are, well, 10,000 people will read it!! You may get lucky and someone will PM you. Whomever posts an answer on here will be on my "S" List. Sorry for my negative comments. This is the international website for all to read. It doesn't work well posting hotspots on here.

Greg Armstrong and Gary Knowels like this.
  4. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I'm not sure that any Cascades stream that I know of would support huge fish - the terrain is too steep, water too sterile, and spring snow melt flows make life as a trout difficult. Same is true of high lakes that I've fished - the growing season is short. Nothing to do with fishing pressure, just environment.

That's not to say that catching willing 6-10" cutthroats all day on drys on a 3wt isn't fun if that's your expectation.

You might want to check out the book "Washington's Central Cascades Fishing Guide", available on Amazon. I have it - it's a bit dated (2001), but it's a good reference. The lakes/streams are likely all the same, but I wonder if the trails it describes are still in good shape.

If I lived in Spokane I'd certainly head further east into Idaho or Montana. Or if your brother is moving to Brazil, save your money and visit him there and head on down to Patagonia. From what I've seen, that would really be a good trip.

5. Earl Nelson

Earl Nelson New Member

I understand the international nature of this forum. I had hoped the overboard description of everyone's ideal fishing trip would communicate the toungue-in-cheek spirit of my post. I was hoping for a PM or a general suggestion about areas that might be suitable at the end of June. No need to lengthen any S lists on my account.

6. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Depends on the elevation, but most high/alpine lakes are snowed in until mid July. Most stuff below 4000' should be safe though. Streams are also still having runoff at that time so your options for moving water will be limited.

If your set on catching big fish, I'd look elsewhere. Most fish in this region run in the 6-10" range as Daryl mentioned. Some areas at certain times have opportunities for larger fish, but not the kind of places that have any business being discussed on the web.

7. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

IF you can find a place that's open that early it would be on the East side slopes. Check out the Pasaytten Wilderness west of Oroville.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

The Cascades got more snow, relative to normal, than most mountain ranges in the west this winter. Almost anywhere else would provide better access in late June.

D

PS, Depending on where you brother is moving to in Brazil, he should be aware that there is trout fishing in Brazil, too.

9. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

I have a stream that I fish a couple of times a year here on the East side of the Cascades, It has high lakes in the area, but not connected to any lakes. As others have already indicated the fish are6-10" in length occasionally one will stretch out to 12", It is out of the way and all but a short distance a hike in fishery. if you are interested I will give you some infomation on the area. PM if interested.
    Kelly Michelsen

10. wlai

wlai Member

I guess I failed to see how the supposed international readership of this forum will affect our secret holes. Don't they have to travel here to fish those spots? Or can they cast a fly via an Internet enabled stream side robot?

:-p