Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Layout blind project

4K views 58 replies 15 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
So it begins...dark bottom layer added. Two more main colors for mid and top. Two blending colors to be scattered throughout. Fun.
Plant Wood Flooring Curtain Automotive tire

See less See more
#51 ·
My brother and I keep a call or two in our vehicles. Stuck in traffic? Why not practice some calling. Waiting for your kid to finish soccer practice? Well get some calling in. That bitch yakking on her phone just cut you off? Give her a High Ball call instead of another popular rude gesture. The look she'll give you is priceless. Seriously, our calling improved greatly once we did this. It's amazing how much time we spend sitting idle in our vehicles.

#58 ·
The biggest things a person new to waterfowl calling can do is get with a proven master of calling and get specific advice from him. When that person says"Yeah, you can use your "come back" call or "go ahead with that highball", then you can start calling in the field. Most guys think their skills are better than they actually are and they start practicing in the field to the misery of the rest of us. There is NOTHING worse than having to listen to some guy sqwauking in the distance, over and over and over and over.

The second biggest thing is knowing when to put the call away. My experience (50 years worth in five different states and three foreign countries) is by the first of January the birds are extremely call shy, blind shy, and decoy shy. Even experts greatly reduce their calling later in the season. Oh, and put that wind driven spinning wing decoy up, too, the birds are wise to that game by then, too. Rely on string jerk decoys, those you can manipulate better.

A duck's brain is about the size of a thumbnail and it is totally geared to survival once chick rearing time is over. They learn about calls, decoys and blinds fast and don't forget quickly. That's what makes the sport so challenging and fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.