Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Layout blind project

4K views 58 replies 15 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
So it begins...dark bottom layer added. Two more main colors for mid and top. Two blending colors to be scattered throughout. Fun.
Plant Wood Flooring Curtain Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
What's with all the shoes? You planning on "re-sole-ing" the thing? Seriously, I'd pull off the fake grass and sew netting onto the top. that way, you can insert bunches of the grass that'll surround the blind, allowing it to blend in much more effectively than the synthetic stuff. What I"m seeing in the photo is something basically shiny, and that's not what you want!!

#3 ·
The firsthing we did with layout blinds was "mud" them up to take the shine off the covering. When dry, sweep excess dried mud off. Carry scissors, knife and/or garden clippers with you when you arrive at your spot an extra 30 minutes earlier than you planned. Use what ever local vegetation, weave it into the straps in a way that breaks up the silhouette and outline (shadow) of the blind.

#6 ·
Will be mudding. Will be weathering. Will be adding natural from nearby but not next to hunt area. Damn Alex, you think I'm a moron? You should see what we hunted out of last year. Jeez.

#8 · (Edited)
Looking good, Ed - you're taking the right approach. And a layout blind/other outdoor gear in a living room looks perfectly normal to this old bachelor (though mine usually dried-out in the dining room on an easy-to-clean tile floor, which is why I never replaced all of the oak furnishings that left during the divorce . . .). Carry-on.

#11 ·
Cool project

Share materials, specs and dimensions?
Hard core Mancave layout blind in Max-5, haven't used it yet but it is simple, roomy and stout. Heavy, 22 pounds. Does not convert to backpack, so it's bulky.

Avery killer weed 5 color all terrain kit, 5 pounds of this fake grass, 5 colors, blend as you wish. I'm going dark down, medium middle and light up and using the 2 gap colors to spot blend.

Will need some mudding and weathering to get that field mess look.

#13 ·
So when I call em in bowed up and gear down in my living room...

Was doing some goose calling with the girls this weekend. Neighbors were wondering.

#15 ·
Looks good, Ed! We'll just hook it up to the truck and drag it down a logging road to take the shine off.

And to the nay-sayers, Ed and I frequently shot easy limits before 9am in his living room last season. All we did was set up a kiddie pool, open the windows and hide behind the couch. Feel free to contact either one of us regarding lease availability.

#16 ·
Looks good, Ed! We'll just hook it up to the truck and drag it down a logging road to take the shine off.

And to the nay-sayers, Ed and I frequently shot easy limits before 9am in his living room last season. All we did was set up a kiddie pool, open the windows and hide behind the couch. Feel free to contact either one of us regarding lease availability.
Naw, if you are fake hunting in western Washington and you ain't freezing and sopping wet, it don't count.

#27 ·
Used my rubber ducky dozen deeks and the kids pool, had three turn to my hail call and almost came on for dinner at the dining room table.

Killing more time, adding tufts of the next lighter color. Sparsely to allow other color tufts on the same brush loops for a blended look.

View attachment 103951
Twig Grass Wood Groundcover Tints and shades

G
#28 ·
Used my rubber ducky dozen deeks and the kids pool, had three turn to my hail call and almost came on for dinner at the dining room table.

Killing more time, adding tufts of the next lighter color. Sparsely to allow other color tufts on the same brush loops for a blended look.

View attachment 103951 View attachment 103952
And remember, winter steelhead fishing and duck hunting require either real stupidity or significant insanity. The only difference is the tool they hold in their hand.
The sickness is strong in this one.

#30 ·
Not on the subject but a friend's wife gave him a guided gear trip for tarpon today and I've been invited along. I told the guy that I've caught my tarpon and he can have all of those we hook, if any. He said "Are you sure, you really don't want to catch one?". (He's never caught one). I told him that when he's kneeling on the deck, crying because his arms hurt from fighting fish, then I'll give him a break but not before.

I don't do brute fish anymore.

I guess it is on subject, I would rather gear fish for tarpon in the sun and warm breeze than prep equipment to go lay out in the cold rain hoping a mentally challenged common merganser will swing near the decoys. And don't you sorry bastarts tell me you wouldn't shoot it, either.

I'll post a report later.

#33 ·
And remember, winter steelhead fishing and duck hunting require either real stupidity or significant insanity. The only difference is the tool they hold in their hand.
Karl, this is THE most profound statement I've ever seen... My hat's off to you! (and all you guys who want to give the dual insanity a go, hold this statement close to your hearts!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.